Talk

Advanced search

Divergent

(14 Posts)
fortifiedwithtea Fri 05-Dec-14 00:44:45

DD1 (16 yo) and I fancied a movie night.

On the write up it sounded good. We are Hunger Games fans I've read all the books so thought this would be our sort of thing.

Mixed review. DD enjoyed the film. I felt like I'd just lost 2 hours of my life I'd never get back. At the end DD told me its a trilogy sad oh shit, I'm not sitting through another two films like that.

Should I read the books?

ilovepowerhoop Fri 05-Dec-14 23:22:19

I enjoyed the books

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Fri 05-Dec-14 23:30:19

I thought it was utterly ridiculous and sat through it cos dc wanted to watch it. I haven't read the books either. Those stories where unlikely heroic teen battles absurd odds are wasted on me. I guess I'm not the target audience though grin

Dd loved it though and asked for the dvd too.

Thehedgehogsong Sat 24-Jan-15 00:09:08

I read the books and saw the first film at the cinema. The books were better, but the last book is terribly written, she changes the narrative voice around a lot and it all seems wooden, so I expect the 3rd film will be better than the book!

MrsBungle Sat 24-Jan-15 00:13:13

I read the books. They're OK in a teen sort of way. I can didn't realise the film was out, I feel like I need to see it as I've read the books!

Trills Sat 24-Jan-15 00:18:11

The books get a bit silly. There are things about the back story to their world that don't add up.

It's definitely not The Hunger Games.

I didn't hate it though.

She has lovely hair.

BitchyTakesOnManagement Sat 24-Jan-15 01:51:55

Actually there is four books as she brought out one about 4. Ds says the books are better. I enjoy the film but spend most of it going 'oh that is what the hell ds has been chundering on about for the last 4mnths. Makes sense now' blush Probably not the best review for it though grin

BitchyTakesOnManagement Sat 24-Jan-15 01:52:36

And I say she, no idea about the author.

FireflyLight Sun 25-Jan-15 11:13:43

I really rate this film. Loved it. I've not read any of the books as of yet but they are on my list to get. DH didn't really fancy it but by the end even he said it was a good one. Both of us prefer it to the Hunger Games.

Really looking forward to Insurgent, which is released later this year :D

namechangingtotest Mon 26-Jan-15 19:51:17

I thought is was an ok film. If you've seen it and the hunger games you might find the honest trailer amusing.

Lardylassnomore Sun 01-Feb-15 19:44:29

I thought it was way too long and felt that I had wasted time and money watching it

sliceofsoup Sun 01-Feb-15 19:50:43

I actually really enjoyed the film. People in RL have said it was crap too, maybe I just have bad taste. grin

Johnogroats Thu 12-Feb-15 11:43:43

Just read and quite enjoyed the book. Not as much as the Hunger Games. Thoroughly enjoyed the Honest Trailor...may see the film.

DeanKoontz Thu 12-Feb-15 11:50:41

dd (11) adored the books. Read, re-read them, read them again, carried them round with her, quoted from them.... you get the picture.

She was v disappointed with the film.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: