Talk

Advanced search

The Imitation Game

(18 Posts)
Ujjayi Sun 16-Nov-14 00:02:56

Anyone else seen this yet?

We went this evening with DCs (14 & 10). An awe inspiring movie & very emotional.

I've never understood the attraction of Benedict Cumberbatch but his performance in this film is Oscar worthy.

CormoranStrike Sun 16-Nov-14 17:57:20

I thought the film was brilliant, and B C gave a stunning performance.

zerotolerancezone Sun 16-Nov-14 17:58:41

Loved it!

I've never understood the obsession with Cumberbatch but he's growing on me! Was awesome in Frankenstein.

PigeonPie Sun 16-Nov-14 18:02:45

Haven't seen the film yet, but we went to Bletchley Park yesterday and saw some of the props which looked amazing.

Bletchley Park is well worth visiting too. Has blown my mind thinking about how they managed it all.

EATmum Sun 16-Nov-14 18:08:21

DH reviews films http://notlefthandedfilmguide.co.uk and rated this one highly. Not seen it yet myself but it's definitely on my list.

Ujjayi Sun 16-Nov-14 19:13:21

PigeonPie: we live a very short distance from Bletchley Park & both DCs have visited with school. It is definitely down as my "next day out" top option.

PigeonPie Sun 16-Nov-14 19:33:32

Ujjayi - I was so impressed with it. You only pay for the adults (£15 each) and that ticket lasts a year and there was a Maths on Toast event there yesterday when we went for the children. There's also a multimedia tour for for either families or specifically for adults. We don't live too far from it either and we'll definitely be going back. Will also be recommending it to school.

Sorry OP off topic!

Ujjayi Sun 16-Nov-14 19:42:32

I am OP too winkgrin

That's great re ticket prices. Eldest DS is doing a piece of coursework for GCSE history on Bletchley so that would be really useful. DS2 is hugely obsessed with WW2 too.

MyPreciousRing Sun 16-Nov-14 19:44:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davros Sun 16-Nov-14 20:08:30

Hoping to go this week. Loved visiting Bletchley a couple of years ago and also love the film Enigma. Would DD (11) enjoy it I wonder?

PigeonPie Sun 16-Nov-14 21:17:37

Sorry Ujjayi - I'll go back to sleep now!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Nov-14 21:28:25

We went to see it last night... for once it wasn't just me wiping my eyes at the end, DH was too. DD(15) enjoyed it too.

Dancergirl Fri 21-Nov-14 13:10:49

What certificate is it?

Dh and I definitely want to see it but wondering if our dds (13 and nearly 12) would like it. We went to Bletchley a few years ago and they weren't too impressed but they're a bit older now.

Is the plot hard to follow?

ErrolTheDragon Fri 21-Nov-14 15:30:58

Its a 12A. There's a bit of sexual reference, obviously enough, but nothing explicit. The plot is simple enough if you've a vague idea of Turing's life and death - there's a bit of to and fro between the wartime narrative and the sad end.

Clayhead Sun 30-Nov-14 20:42:13

My dc are 11 and 13 and they enjoyed it.

skillsandtea Wed 24-Dec-14 19:19:52

Finally got to go and watch it. Loved it. BC is fantastic and completely absorbs his role. Not convinced by Keira Knightly though.. I'm sure there were more suitable actresses. The one who plays Mary (Martin Freeman's real life partner) springs to mind. Amanda Abbington?

echt Sun 11-Jan-15 03:13:42

I went to see this with DH today and enjoyed it very much. There was some invention and annoying Americanisms, e.g. smart instead of clever, I'm through with this instead of fed up with. BC was outstanding.

It sent me straight back to the source material. Andrew Hodges' biography, of Turing and I was astounded to see I'd bought and read it nearly 30 years ago. I've re-read it several times over the years, very well-written, but no photos.

ToastedOrFresh Sun 11-Jan-15 04:21:32

Excellent film. I saw it with DH on New Year's Day. If you don't mind wading through all the 1950's morals as that's when it's mostly set.

BC doesn't float my boat but he's an excellent actor, in this film at least. Stick thin Keira Knightley made a reasonable fist of it, speaking in a posh voice. She could have done with a shave though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now