Talk

Advanced search

To think its a shame that Bollywood films are not seen by more people in the Uk?

(23 Posts)
PopMusic Sat 23-Mar-13 20:46:22

The difference between Hollywood films and Bollywood films is that A list Bollywood films grabs you by the heart, wrings every kind of emotion out of you but ultimately leaves you feeling uplifted.

They are hugely popular with Asians, of course, but it would be so good if the wider community saw a few too. Once you see a Bollywood film, Hollywood films are a bit meh.

thezebrawearspurple Sat 23-Mar-13 20:51:02

I've seen a couple, not my type of thing at all tbh but I'm sure there are lots of people who would love them if they thought to give them a go.

CSIJanner Sat 23-Mar-13 20:54:56

C4 had a season on several years ago. My DM and I went ut and bought each other copies of Lagaan the day after we watched it.

SweetSplendidSimnel Sat 23-Mar-13 20:58:51

Aahh, I don't know. By Bollywood films, do you mean the all-singing, all-dancing Hindi blockbusters? Where the hero can shatter 10 people's skulls and the heroine is dripping in sequins and jewellery? Ifyou've seen one, you've seen them all.

There are other movies that are made in India, in other languages, from places like Kerala, TamilNadu where the drama is more hard-hitting, script is more nuanced and there is a sense of reality.

SweetSplendidSimnel Sat 23-Mar-13 20:59:39

The Lagaan songs, they sent a shiver down my spine....

MorrisZapp Sat 23-Mar-13 21:01:26

Can't think of a community much wider than Asians smile

But nah, not for me thanks. Not my scene at all.

BegoniaBampot Sat 23-Mar-13 21:03:27

Some are really watchable and deliciously corny. Love the music and some of the dance routines. Is Sam Fox still doing Bollywood?

LessMissAbs Sat 23-Mar-13 21:07:26

Have seen about 3. Didn't like them. Too colourful, too much spontaneous breaking into song and dance, too sexist, too old fashioned clothing, too sparkly, too predictable...I don't like rom coms either. I do like sci-fi and action films, both of which often do do the things you describe OP, but I don't need colourful dancing and singing for that, because its not my personal preference or a culture I relate to or particularly admire.

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 23-Mar-13 21:11:44

I've watched one. It was sexist, corny, tacky rubbish. Not my thing at all.

Shakey1500 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:12:28

I've only seen a couple but enjoyed them. I used to work with an Indian guy, an older gentleman and he used to bring CD's in of songs from the films. We had a good old bop around the office a few times <happy memories>

PopMusic Sat 23-Mar-13 21:14:03

I don't necessarily think that the newer Hindi films are like that though. I quite like the all dancing,all singing ones - bit of escapism but only the pure romance ones - hate the violent ones. VeerZaara for instance is beautiful. Black is good too - it's about the relationship between a deaf blind woman and her teacher. But there are really good, more realistic ones eg Iqbal (another cricket one) and Dor.

aldiwhore Sat 23-Mar-13 21:15:10

They're not my thing at all.

YABU.

As U as I would be if I said I wish more people in the UK watched more Japanese Horror.

Bakingnovice Sat 23-Mar-13 21:16:49

Oh we watched lagaan and loved it too.

PopMusic Sat 23-Mar-13 21:18:38

See, lessmissabs I don't like Hollywood romcom either and I much prefer the sci-fi too. Not sure, what you mean by old fashioned clothes?

Potol Sat 23-Mar-13 21:20:48

YABU. I'm from the subcontinent and find Bollywood films fairly dull. As do my parents and a fair few of my friends. There are some good ones but most are formulaic. There are plenty of award winning Indian films are not Bollywood (see films by Satyajit Ray for instance).

PopMusic Sat 23-Mar-13 21:30:23

Yes, Potol. I agree. That's why I said A list - the best of Bollywood is great.
And I also agree with Satyajit Ray.

StuntGirl Sat 23-Mar-13 21:30:31

I don't like Bollywood films. Don't hugely like Hollywood films either. To each their own.

HoppinMad Sat 23-Mar-13 22:18:17

I'm not sure YABU but people love different films from different cultures worldwide and Bollywood is just one albeit massive film industry and it is actually appreciated globally, hence its success.
I enjoyed bollywood growing up but watching the films of the '90s now are too cringeworthy. However the recent ones are more westernised and therefore more watchable by a wider audience. Having said that nothing beats a good ol' amitabh classic!

SandyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Jul-16 16:52:14

Hi everyone,
Just sweeping this thread into films. OP please do shout if this is a problem. flowers

RustyBear Sat 16-Jul-16 12:43:01

So why has it suddenly popped up on FB?

JigokuShojou Sat 16-Jul-16 15:31:31

Balle, balle, nachle, jaldi, jaldi, aaja nachle.

echelon Sat 23-Jul-16 00:45:19

Love Lagaan! It's AMAZING!!

ladybird69 Fri 16-Sep-16 00:36:29

I've only watched 1 Indian film Trishna is was very tough as think it was based on Tess of the d'ulbervilles. Then I watched a Bollywood version of much a do about nothing, in the smaller theatre at Stratford, there were quite a few famous actors and us audience was literally part of the play. It was one of the best nights of my life grinning like a Cheshire cat here right now!!! It was amazing. So any recommendations I'd love to hear about any of them.
Also a long shot does anyone remember a tv documentary where few of our older actors and actresses went to India to see if it was easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now