Talk

Advanced search

Appropriate films for a 3-year old???

(41 Posts)
MamaMia100 Tue 29-May-12 22:36:01

Please can anyone recommend some non- scary films (that I can buy for my iPad) for my just 3 year old dd to watch during a very long car journey? She loved Disney princesses but all Disney films are terrifying. I really don't want to expose her to anything that might give her nightmares, so we are talking totally in-scary, no death, no baddies, no vaguely upsetting storylines etc... For eg what about toy story or shrek? Haven't seen either for years but can't remember whether they have baddies in. Anyone know of any other suggestions? Many thanks in advance! smile

PeaTarty Tue 29-May-12 22:38:52

We watch finding nemo (as I had it and she put it in the dvd player once. Ooops.) BUT I forward the first scene where the mum dies and explain that nemo's daddy goes looking for him.

I've got a similar problem in that I think most films are too "old" for her and haven't really watched proper films with her.

dancingmummy Tue 29-May-12 22:40:16

Surfs up? Literally the only film my lo debt have to be taken out of screaming! Lol

dancingmummy Tue 29-May-12 22:40:47

didn't not debt!

PinguFanatic Tue 29-May-12 22:40:55

Curious George

Springforward Tue 29-May-12 22:42:52

Toy Story has baddies.

Finding Nemo? Peril, but no baddies except the dentist's niece, IIRC.

Cars is quite gentle, but not Cars 2.

fatsamsgrandslam Tue 29-May-12 22:43:13

Winnie the pooh? There is a new one, but also the one made in the 1970s.

My (only just) 3 yr old isn't easily scared so has enjoyed the lion king, toy story, shrek, bambi, 101 Dalmatians - but they all have an element of jeopardy/danger/baddies/ death to them (obviously some more than others). I make sure I watch them with him so if he is confused/upset by them, I can explain/turn off/reassure if necessary.

mrsjavierbardem Tue 29-May-12 22:43:28

My dd loves the princess and the frog Disney.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 29-May-12 22:43:38

Teh Ice Age filmsare all excellent.

RecursiveMoon Tue 29-May-12 22:44:49

The Gruffalo is short but fab. DS isn't scared by it.

Rubirosa Tue 29-May-12 22:45:09

Ponyo - lovely film, nothing scary, no-one dies.

Also, My Neighbour Totoro.

Springforward Tue 29-May-12 22:45:33

Arthur Christmas
Horton hears a Hoo

Rooble Tue 29-May-12 22:45:37

Can't you just get lots of episodes of something off TV? I can't think of any films that I think are suitable. (or there again, my DS may just be exceptionally wet. But he does get traumatised by any Disney because he can't properly dustinguish between film and reality. Fine with books, but films freak him out. Age 5 btw).

littleweed10 Tue 29-May-12 22:47:14

A bit shorter but a grand days out always goes down well as does the gruffolo and gruffalos child. I wouldn't say it's a time to try a new film - my son loves watching the same programmes or films as a treat at home, so I'd be a bit more relaxed giving him to chillout whilst on a journey IYSWIM

rattie77 Tue 29-May-12 22:48:06

My 3.6 year old, loves Toy Story (1,2,and 3) and yes I know there are baddies, but he is fine and doesn't seem upset by them. He is quite sensitive in general (hides when Eadie McCredie from Balamory comes on as he doesn't like her australian hat - took ages to figure out what exactly frightened him). Certainly worth a try!

SPsFanjoHarboursTRex Tue 29-May-12 22:50:46

Rio is a good one. My 2 year old loves it.very colourful and a few catchy songs

scooterland Tue 29-May-12 22:52:01

Aristocats -- the only film our 3 year old has watched in full. About an hour. She loves it and isn't scared by it at all.
Bits of The Jungle Book, bits of Cinderella.

jennifersofia Tue 29-May-12 22:55:11

Another vote for My Neighbour Totoro, also Kiki's Delivery Service. Mary Poppins too.

Brandnewbrighttomorrow Tue 29-May-12 22:57:32

Second winne the pooh, tigger movie and the heffalump all came as a triple DVD pack and massive favourites of my 2 yr old; 5 and 7 year olds love them too smile Pocoyo DVD very popular also toy story and tangled is very good, not sure if that's on DVD or not. Gruffalo and gruffalo's child both great.

I think the princess and frog is scary!

imogengladheart Tue 29-May-12 23:01:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 29-May-12 23:02:26

Yep, ponyo and totoro. They do have slightly scary bits in them but nothing bad.

DrSeuss Tue 29-May-12 23:06:21

Pingu shorts, about 5 mins each, available twent or so to the DVD.

MrsHoolie Tue 29-May-12 23:08:43

Flushed Away

Valiant

The Hungry Caterpillar (and other stories)

Cassettetapeandpencil Tue 29-May-12 23:12:00

Cassettetapeandpencil Tue 29-May-12 23:12:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now