Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

one day (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

(15 Posts)
pamplemousserose Mon 29-Aug-11 22:57:51

I saw this tonight and it was disappointing. Anne Hathaway was completely miscast. Her British accent was patchy at best and she was too thin and pretty for the part. Jim strugess was good .thing that was most annoying was the crappy attention to detail with the costumes and music. I lived in that period, I know it wasn't right!

carocaro Tue 30-Aug-11 17:50:17

I agree. There was no chemistry between them at all, he was great, she was not. I went with 3 girlfriends and we all agreed the costumes and sets were not 80's or 90's at all and what shitty flats they lived in, gives London a bad name! I lived there in the 90's and my flat was certainly not the shithole she lived in and I earned nothing.

They just did not work together at all. I did cry at one bit, when he was on the hall floor consumed by grief and his daughter was asking him if he was ok, the his ex wife showed up and hugged him. Then him and his Dad in their PJ's together - lovely.

It was fab as a book and I thought it would be hard to portray the structure on film. They did squash here good and proper under than van didn't they?

Nospringflower Thu 01-Sep-11 20:15:31

I saw it last night after not having read the book and I really enjoyed it. Did think some of the cars / clothes / decor etc looked a bit ancient and not very 80s / 90s. Someone had said it was a sad ending so I was worried about her on her bike but still gasped when she was killed. Then crying! On the whole I thought her accent was ok but then she would say something in a really yorkshire accent that sounded over the top.

mycatsaysach Tue 06-Sep-11 21:33:22

saw it today - was pleasantly surprised.the first 20 mins were a bit cheesy but it really improved and got v enjoyable later on and i thought v touching.ds (17) loved it!
AH should have really just stuck with the one accent tho and left out her northernisms.
music should have been so much better too.

MissTinaTeaspoon Sat 10-Sep-11 09:53:59

I agree about the accent and music, it was almost as if she was doing a stereotypical English accent, then she forgot she was meant to be from Yorkshire and then threw in a bit of old lady Yorkshire and then she was posh again! And they really missed a good opportunity for an amazing soundtrack.

As for the ending, I've read the book and was expecting her to get hit but the way it happened still surprised me.

fivegomadindorset Sat 10-Sep-11 09:55:33

Who cycles into a road without looking.

bruffin Sat 10-Sep-11 12:12:42

We went to see it last night and disagree there was not chemistry, I thought they went together very well.
I knew nothing about it at all, DH had seen the trailers and suggested we see it, so the death came as a complete shock to me. I jumped out the seat and knocked my glasses off.
DH and I are 49/50 so we lived through the eras portrayed and it seemed very accurate to us.
I think the reason she didn't see the bus was because she was distracted by her thoughts ie being snappy with dex in the morning and still not pregnant.

Agree with the accent constantly changing was slightly irritating and also the obvious padding of her clothes in the early part of the film, but other than that found it very moving and would watch it again.

LeBOF Sat 10-Sep-11 12:17:17

In the book though, Dexter does comment on how her accent comes and goes, depending who she's talking to, iirc. Which is quite common in people who move away from home for university and don't really go back. It was probably a bit ambitious for Anne Hathaway to attempt it though.

I'm looking forward to the film, but I'm waiting for it to come out on pirate hit our small local cinema.

bruffin Sat 10-Sep-11 13:07:45

Agree that makes sense lebof
My mum us Welsh but lived in London from her 20s and her accent changed quite a lot when she had been home.
Dh,s theory was ah attempted the accent when they first started filming but gave up and stuck to the neutral English, but because they don't film scenes in order it came out randomly

chocolatespiders Sat 10-Sep-11 14:54:43

Just finished the book this morning and got through the last few chapters with box of tissues.. still a bit tearful now sad

Now I am desperate to watch the film and may go tonight smile

melliebobs Sat 10-Sep-11 22:47:20

i saw this last night at an outside screening. I read the book on my honeymoon in a couple of days (so must be a good book cos i aint much of a reader) But really dissapointed with the film though. How can they not mention the fact she was getting it on with the headteacher?! That was kinda an important part cos it was when she ended it with him and quit her job that she ended up writing the book. But it wasn't even mentioned!!!! Insane!

LeBOF Sat 10-Sep-11 22:48:55

I think Anne Hathaway probably has it written into her contract that she is not to be depicted being despoiled by a middle-aged man with a beard.

melliebobs Sat 10-Sep-11 22:57:56

then they should have got a british actress to play her! lol

Hassled Sat 10-Sep-11 23:02:13

Have read the book but not seen the film - am very shocked they miss the fling with the Head.

melliebobs Sat 10-Sep-11 23:04:21

me and dh have been looking it up on the internet and it mentions the actor that played him. So maybe they just decided to cut it?! I know they can't include EVERYTHING in a book to film adaptation but i don' get that decision at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now