Talk

Advanced search

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp)

(9 Posts)
diggingintheribs Tue 10-May-11 11:27:52

DS is 4 and we have been reading the book at bedtime - we've read it 3 times and likes it a lot.

Is he too little for the film? The most grown up film he has seen to date is Madagascar!

HarrietJones Tue 10-May-11 12:32:49

There's some bits that may go over his head but I'd let a 4 year old , obviously with an adult watching too.

diggingintheribs Tue 10-May-11 12:35:35

Thank you

Over his head I can cope with - I just don't want him getting scared!

upahill Mon 16-May-11 10:45:50

No there was nothing scary.
AND Jonny Depp plays the part brilliantly!

AllThreeWays Mon 16-May-11 10:50:35

I think Johnny Depp is a little scary but the film isn't. The squirrels are wonderful (they are trained for the film with just a few cgi)

diggingintheribs Mon 16-May-11 21:00:40

Just watched it with DH and we decided a few bits would lead to discussions we would rather not have.

The squirrel scene is great though. Thought I could just show him snippets

Johnny Depp is fab in it though!

Only other thing was the whole 'lesson learnt' - in the book gloop comes out a skinny runt but in the film he is still fat and is greedily licking the choc off his hands!

upahill Mon 16-May-11 21:44:35

What discussions? I can't remember any thing significant.
That said it's a while since we went to see it.

diggingintheribs Mon 16-May-11 21:57:03

I can't remember off the top off my head now but he picks up on small things and is very good at asking probing questions!

one example would be mike teavee playing the violent video games when talking to the reporter.

and the relationship between the young willy and his father would upset him

there were a few other bits

I don't think he'd sit and watch the whole thing in one go either so maybe selecting scenes would work better

Euphemia Thu 23-Jun-11 15:22:25

It took me a long time to convince DD that Willy Wonka is a man in that movie. grin And even longer to convince her that the same actor is Captain Jack Sparrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now