Talk

Advanced search

have seen all the Jane Austen films (I think) what next?

(19 Posts)
schroeder Wed 09-Mar-11 13:12:59

I'm so soft and girly when it comes to films these days, I love Jane Austen, but I fear I have run out.

I need some more films that have a sexy repressed hero to lust over; any ideas please?

They don't really have to be regency(although it is a plus).smile

haggis01 Wed 09-Mar-11 15:16:45

BBC version of North and South (book by Elizabeth gaskell)- a sort of northern, victorian version of Pride and Prejudice - with Richard Armitage as a gorgeous Mr Thornton.(also the actor who plays Mr Bates in Downton Abbey is also in there)

The older BBc version of Jane Eyre with a youngish Timothy Dalton as Mr Rochester (sticks to the book's storyline closely)

These don't really have repressed heroes as such but are period and very good:
the BBC Andrew Davies version of Vanity Fair (regency)

BBC - again- Twenty Thousand Streets under the sky (book by Patrick Hamilton) set in the 1920's - heartbreaking.

Good, rollicking,bawdy fun - Desperate Romantics (bbc again) DDG Aidan Turner and also Rafe Spall.

The Buccaneers (BBC) based on the Edith Wharton book about Noveau Riche American girls on the British Marriage market looking to bag improvished aristos.(Greg Wise stars)

ITv- The Forsythe Saga - very good, although Gina McGee is woefully miscast as Irene the love interest.

An oldie, but still a goody - GOne with the Wind - Vivienne Leigh and Clark Gable.

BBC version of George Elliot's Daniel Deronda is good - Hugh Dancy as Deronda also BBC's Andrew Davies adaptation of MIddlemarch with a young Rufus Sewell.

Have fun

exexpat Wed 09-Mar-11 15:19:13

Have you seen Lost in Austen? Quite fun for Austen fans.

Also definitely the Middlemarch series with Rufus Sewell if you haven't seen it, and Barchester Chronicles - old BBC series with a young Alan Rickman.

nickelprincess Wed 09-Mar-11 15:20:18

lost in Austen was so brilliant!
very clever grin

schroeder Wed 09-Mar-11 20:01:40

Thanks for the ideas peeps, I'm off to check out the library catalogue/amazon smile

TapselteerieO Wed 09-Mar-11 20:07:59

Do you like Dickens? I don't think they have the gorgeous stars in them, but the characters are great.

sue52 Wed 09-Mar-11 20:15:14

The BBC adaptation of Trollope's The Way We Live Now was excellent. Dickens Little Dorritt also worth checking out.

TapselteerieO Wed 09-Mar-11 20:17:09

Oops, that wasn't very specific - Little Dorrit, though I couldn't watch it twice. Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend.

schroeder Wed 09-Mar-11 20:26:30

blush am shallow I want a sexy man in it please and terrific on screen chemistry.

cornishpasty Sat 09-Apr-11 20:49:58

North and South
North and South
North and South
North and South
that's all I've got to say on the matter grin

pjani Wed 04-May-11 21:01:08

Exactly - North and South! It is seriously brilliant.

Desperate Romantics was great fun. Bleak House also enjoyable.

blackcurrants Mon 18-Jul-11 20:12:49

It's often handy to trawl www.imdb.com for the filmographies of dishy period-fave actors. Look up the men, see what else they've been in...

Greg Wise, for example, was in Cranford - have you seen it? SEE IT! He was also in The Moonstone which I haven't seen, but liked the book - so I will see it out. Daniel Deronda has some top totty in it (ahem, I mean, great litertature) and do you fancy Ioan Gruffud? Cos if you do, there's quite a bit of Horatio Hornblower.

I could go on! grin

I saw an excellent Brideshead Revisited this year, which I think was quite a recent version. Not terribly lust-inducing but good.

The TV Jane Eyre from a few years ago was v good and Mr R was quite smoldering.

Dozer Tue 19-Jul-11 20:33:43

Another vote for north and south!

mixedmamameansbusiness Mon 05-Sep-11 13:09:56

Wuthering Heights. I cant remeber the name of the guy who plays Heathcliff in one of the most recent ones (tom somebody). I love Wuthering Heights. Love it, did I mention LOVE IT.

TeamDamon Mon 05-Sep-11 13:17:01

Another vote for The Forsyte Saga - so much repressed (and unrepressed grin) emotion there. My favourite period drama of all by far.

Jane Austen - have you seen Persuasion with Ciaran Hinds?

TeamDamon Mon 05-Sep-11 13:18:35

Don't forget Lady Chatterley with Sean Bean by the way.

<fans self>

SageMist Mon 05-Sep-11 15:11:13

Wives and Daughters was a TV series based on Elizabeth Gaskills last, and unfinished, book. It stars Justine Waddell, Bill Paterson, Francesca Annis, Keeley Hawes and Tom Hollander. You can get the DVD on amazon.

mixedmamameansbusiness Tue 06-Sep-11 13:56:45

I liek the Rupert Penry Jones Persuasion although I am still very very upset that they left out the letter scene - unforgivable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now