Talk

Advanced search

Just watched the first half of The Road

(13 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 13:29:12

from Lovefilm, then the dvd froze and now refuses to play at all even tried scene skipping but no.

I'm not going to get a replacement film as to be honest it was close to making me cry. I felt sick watching it, most depressing thing ever. I couldn't finish the book so God knows why I orderd the film.

How does it end? I vaguely remember in the book the dad dies (I skipped to the end and read the last few pages). Did the boy find another family in the book or did I make that up? What happens to him in the film?

I was just sat there thinking what if it was me and DD. sad

winnybella Mon 29-Nov-10 13:34:55

I haven't seen the film, but skim-read the book in a shop and felt depressed for a week after.

IIRC yes, a family takes the boy in (although I remember people speculating whether to take care of him or to kill and eat him or similar).

gingercat12 Mon 29-Nov-10 13:35:37

Viva I read the book, but I really had to force myself through the tears. The Dad dies. But previously they went through a community where the boy thought he saw other children. It turned out that they were good people and one of the men followed them, as they thought the father was ill and they wanted to help the boy. This man found the boy and took them to their community. The little boy even offered him the gun he inherited from his Dad. I really cracked up when the boy was left alone in that world.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 13:40:16

Its not like its even real so I don't know why I'm so upset but I'm really glad the boy was OK. Am crying now. grin

c0rns1lk Mon 29-Nov-10 13:41:44

Mike from Neighbours finds him and takes him in.

c0rns1lk Mon 29-Nov-10 13:42:22

The film is not as grim as the book. The dad dying was unbearable in the book.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 13:45:26

I'm happier now I know it was Mike that found him. Was Bouncer there as well. <hopeful>

c0rns1lk Mon 29-Nov-10 13:46:06

Actually I think there may have been a dog...

mumblechum Mon 29-Nov-10 13:46:59

There was a dog, yes. smile

c0rns1lk Mon 29-Nov-10 14:28:55

thankfully no sign of Mrs Mangle

Punkatheart Mon 29-Nov-10 17:37:19

It actually has a redemptive ending - yes, the father dies but the boy is taken in by lovely people. It means that the New World will have decent people in it, that there is hope.

Read the book...really, really brilliant...

Adversecamber Thu 02-Dec-10 18:14:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smugmumofboys Thu 02-Dec-10 18:20:31

DH watched this the other day and was blubbing at the end - and he is usually rather stone-hearted.

I think I might give it a miss.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: