Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is feminism really about equality?

(23 Posts)
BemusedExpression Mon 26-Jun-17 14:42:34

I've seen it mentioned many times on these threads that feminism is about the fight for equality. Yes, feminists are concerned with attaining the best that they can for women. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, except it's less about equality, and more about the benefits acquired for females.

Sometimes these aims are the same, but sometimes, they're not.

For example, women get more lenient punishments than males for committing the same crime but feminists are less concerned about addressing this inequality as it might lead to harsher treatment for females.

Feminists strongly support women's shelters but show little interest in supporting the few shelters for males in similar positions.

Feminists campaign strongly against Female Genital Mutilation, but the campaign doesn't extend to males - if you're born male, you can expect to have your genitals mutilated soon after birth.

Fighting the cause for women? Of course they are.
Fighting the cause for true equality? Let's hear your thoughts.

Note:
1.These examples are not meant to challenge the obvious worthiness of these subjects, but to examine why we treat them unequally.
3. Please don't hate me if I've made some bad assumptions. Just put me right.

slug Mon 26-Jun-17 15:18:34

sigh

BemusedExpression Mon 26-Jun-17 23:32:23

This thread is closed and is waiting for MNHQ to remove it.
Please don't post any further comments.

PickAChew Mon 26-Jun-17 23:34:50

And what if we do?

BandeauSally Mon 26-Jun-17 23:35:32

This thread is not closed and you don't get to say whether people can post on it grin <so nerr>

PickAChew Mon 26-Jun-17 23:36:59

It's a rare one when the OP is their own thread police after one single reply.

BemusedExpression Mon 26-Jun-17 23:40:07

Let's just say that slug made me realise the futility of asking stupid questions.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 26-Jun-17 23:42:43

Why post such a daft second post? MNHQ won't (or shouldn't) remove your thread just because you ask, as you've realised how silly your OP was.

AnyFucker Mon 26-Jun-17 23:43:23

Just put me right

Thanks, but no thanks.

BemusedExpression Mon 26-Jun-17 23:55:04

@AnyFucker
Slug just put me right, so that's that.

darjeelingdarling Fri 07-Jul-17 10:01:39

I don't think this should be removed.

Thank you OP for realising the questions were misjudged.

I'd not seen that page before, so thanks for that too slug.

theEnginerd Tue 08-Aug-17 07:24:10

Actually I don't believe this is misjudged at all, because this is generally speaking true. If you want to be equal, you shouldn't expect anything more, or anything less. if you do, then you need to dig deep and reevaluate exactly where you stand on the sociopolitical compass.
Surely you are better working with men rather than against them?

QueenLaBeefah Tue 08-Aug-17 07:28:44

We are equal.

explodingkittens Tue 08-Aug-17 07:29:29

No, feminism isn't about 'equality'. It's about overthrowing a patriarchal system that inherently oppresses 51% of the population.

Hth.

theEnginerd Tue 08-Aug-17 08:04:34

Ok, I can accept this point for now, but what would you replace it with? surely the most able and qualified person should get the job regardless of age, gender, race etc...

and I struggle to find anything but weak anecdotal evidence of oppression, if anything, I regularly find women are favoured in this day and age.

MrGHardy Sun 13-Aug-17 02:56:14

Every MRA ever has probably used this. Helps them deceive themselves into believing men have it so bad. Diddums.

theancientmarinader Sun 13-Aug-17 03:05:28

God, is it still really like this here when the sun goes down? How depressing.
I love slug's link. A perfect antidote.
And a lol at enginerd. Favoured. Bahahahahaha.

bigthinkjoehand Wed 20-Sep-17 13:26:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mantegnaria Tue 17-Oct-17 00:57:28

Gosh.

Arcee84 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:40:59

I personally don't agree with feminism these days. Many women agree. It's not about equality anymore like you it was many years ago. It's about getting an advantage over men, not being on an equal level. Feminism became a mean, vindictive, man hating philosophy. Basically saying every man is evil etc. I'm all for equality but definitely not feminism. Just my two cents..

BertrandRussell Fri 03-Nov-17 18:46:34

"Feminism became a mean, vindictive, man hating philosophy. Basically saying every man is evil etc"
Could you give some examples?

angelawilliams Wed 15-Nov-17 00:17:21

I definitely think there has been a big mix up in the last decade with the perception of feminism and what it is. Back 100 years ago when women were fighting (physically!) for the right to vote, that was about equality, and rightly so. Nowadays you get 16-year-olds who think the gender wage gap is awful and that women suffer more than men. The reality is, women aren't equal in any society but neither are men, both genders have their drawbacks (take paternity leave and fathers being favourable in court cases with children). There are so many things to consider and people forget about the simple things. Inequality is happening in much more ways than with women, it happens with homophobia, transphobia, racism and so much more. Feminism has a right to be alive and healthy but we mustn't get caught up in fighting for something when other issues are getting pushed aside too.

BonnieF Wed 15-Nov-17 00:58:19

Society discriminates against both women and men in different ways.

Women still face discrimination in the workplace. Men still face discrimination regarding their children. Both are wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now