Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Don't care about trans debate

(12 Posts)
powershowerforanhour Fri 28-Oct-16 00:11:28

Do I have to have a view? Reading feminist stuff over the past year I feel like the new leader of the Alliance party in Northern Ireland when one of the first things they asked her on the radio this morning was whether she personally is unionist or nationalist.
She politely deflected the question with a more polished version of "who cares? I'm sick of single issue politics".
I don't like it when derailers squeal "but women in other countries get stoned to death so anything you want to discuss is trivial" and don't want to be hypocritical so I suppose I should study carefully and organise my thoughts on it. Particularly since it might be important and I don't think penises should be in womens' refuges or hurling insults at lesbians on university campuses.
My own personal experience of MTF people* (*insert term of choice, I don't care) is exactly one that I worked with years ago. Looked like a man in a dress, we referred to her as she and used her preferred female name, nobody ever talked about the trans thing, we were all good at our jobs. The end.
Is it OK if I'm a TA fem? (Trans-Apathetic feminist. Taf, for short).

vesuvia Fri 28-Oct-16 17:51:41

powershowerforanhour wrote - "I'm sick of single issue politics".

I think the so-called "trans debate" is only single issue politics in the sense it may appear, at first glance, to be a only a niche issue about trying to help a few people feel happier about themselves, but it actually has very big implications in many areas of life because the "winner" of the debate will define what a woman is and what rights a woman will have.

IrenetheQuaint Sat 29-Oct-16 13:30:06

Everyone's feminism is different and you are perfectly entitled to decide your own feminist priorities.

I think trans issues are significant because of the wider implications, but I get frustrated sometimes that they generate quite so much heat amongst feminists when, for the vast majority of women, male violence, male privilege and ludicrous gender stereotyping have much more of a negative impact day to day.

Also, some feminists object to the whole idea of 'being trans' on theoretical grounds, whereas others don't (though they may still have concerns about particular aspects of modern trans ideology). You can still be a feminist while falling into category 2.

HermioneWeasley Fri 16-Dec-16 15:37:04

You are entitled to your opinion

I am of the view that the erasure of the word "woman" and therefore there being no sex segregated space and potentially no sex based protections, is probably the biggest threat to women's rights in the U.K.

Autumnsweater Fri 16-Dec-16 15:39:30

I feel like this power!

LeadPipe Fri 16-Dec-16 15:40:19

I echo vesuvia I care because I don't want the definition of a woman to be determined /defined by men nor do I want men to determine what rights women will have.

LeadPipe Fri 16-Dec-16 15:41:38

Hermione you are right. I can't not care if I care about women's rights.

Kidnapped Fri 16-Dec-16 15:57:22

"For the vast majority of women, male violence, male privilege and ludicrous gender stereotyping have much more of a negative impact day to day".

That is exactly what the trans issue is, though. All of that wrapped up neatly into one single issue.

The trans issue is all about men who claim they are women being able to bring their violence, male privilege and ludicrous gender stereotyping into women's spaces. And taking over women's experiences and achievements.

0phelia Fri 16-Dec-16 16:19:56

I care more about other issues, such as how females plan to protect themselves from male sexual violence, issues surrounding pregnancy and choice, sex work which harms women but benefits men (but which is undeniably a symptom of male supremacy)

As a consequence of my interest in feminism, issues of rigid gender stereotyping that push women to the bottom of the heirarchy, has left me with a great deal of concern wrt the trans debate.
(Pink = females are the caregivers and listeners or Blue = males are the serious doers and speakers)

Don't get me wrong I have sat next to a man in stilettos and stockings, waiting for a punter and wish him well... BUT
I have been forced into caring about the bigger picture for women (and men) as part of my life experiences.

Essentially I disagree with you powershower

0phelia Fri 16-Dec-16 16:20:45

kidnapped Brilliant post!

DamnCommandments Fri 16-Dec-16 16:34:33

Oh thank fuck OP. Yes. I believe that beyond a certain base level of (probably) hormonal fucked-up-ness, the rise and rise of trans is about gender stereotyping, but I'd rather concentrate on the gender stereotyping than on one of its fucked up effects tvm. I feel like it's all one huge fucking philosophical derail all by itself. I know that's the wrong thing to think, but I just can't care about everything.

Take the developing world. I know that people live in grinding poverty and I feel terrible about it - but I am not moved to the extent that I feel inclined to think any further than bunging money to Oxfam. I know that makes me a bad person, but it's the person I am.

Feels good to get that off my chest.

PiaRuth76 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:09:37

Yessss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now