Talk

Advanced search

Can a woman survive without a man or sex in her life?

(79 Posts)
hennalyn Tue 11-Feb-14 05:28:58

This question may be sensitive and simple. We know that most men can't go long with women and sex, how about for women? Can we really live without them for the rest of our lives?

RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 11-Feb-14 06:06:58

I'm not sure I understand. Loads of men and women spend most/all of their lives single and celibate.

AnnieLobeseder Tue 11-Feb-14 06:11:48

Um, nobody ever died from not having sex. This idea that men "need" sex is part of rape culture and is not a need, simply a sense of entitlement due to our society telling men that women's bodies are there for their use and enjoyment.

Any person, no matter what their gender, is quite capable of being single and celibate, even if they don't necessarily like it.

Why do you ask?

Millionprammiles Tue 11-Feb-14 08:59:18

Of course she can. Can't really be compared to real necessaties, food, shelter, money etc.
With enough money, a rewarding career, good friends, hobbies etc a woman can do more than just survive. She can live happily.

sooperdooper Tue 11-Feb-14 09:01:15

Anyone can, man or woman, nobody needs a partner or sex, some people choose to like to have those things but neither are a necessity for either sex

MothratheMighty Tue 11-Feb-14 09:03:51

Can we have some evidence to back up your somewhat widesweeping claims?
Or would you be happier with assertions that our sexual organs shrivel and send toxins into our bodies causing brain damage and organ failure if we don't have regular sex?

HolofernesesHead Tue 11-Feb-14 09:05:03

Yes, a woman can survive without a man and / or sex in her life - she can thrive! Men can, too. Why do you ask?

MooncupGoddess Tue 11-Feb-14 09:05:52

Erm, yes. So can men, actually.

Quangle Tue 11-Feb-14 09:17:52

I don't even understand the question. Millions of people live like this and it's not actually a life threatening condition.

KissesBreakingWave Tue 11-Feb-14 09:20:33

There are millennia of monks and nuns who did just that. So, yes. Both ends of the gender spectrum do just fine without the other. They just don't reproduce.

hazchem Tue 11-Feb-14 09:23:28

Isn't separatist feminism at least partly founded on the fact women can live without men.

sooperdooper Tue 11-Feb-14 09:27:18

You don't have to be a monk or a nun!

KissesBreakingWave Tue 11-Feb-14 09:33:14

No, you don't, but the existence of same is a solid body of evidence that absenting oneself from the opposite sex and sexual activity isn't fatal.

OneUp Fri 28-Feb-14 15:34:22

I for one could definitely do without sex.

Ragwort Fri 28-Feb-14 15:35:37

Of course. Agree with OneUP grin

TheGirlFromIpanema Fri 28-Feb-14 15:37:45

<<checks self in mirror for signs of life>>

Yes OP. I conclude that it seems not to affect ones vital signs in any way confused

Bumbershoot Fri 28-Feb-14 15:44:23

Yes.

slug Fri 28-Feb-14 16:01:53

I think that is a secret fear of men, that one day they will find out that they aren't, in fact, the centre of the universe, that we can get on perfectly well without them without missing them one little bit.

The fear of irrelevance.

Surely a woman is more likely to survive without a man in her life than with one, considering the numbers of women murdered by their partners of ex-partners.

NeoFaust Fri 28-Feb-14 16:09:04

Another feminist who believes that women are at the centre of men's universe. Actually men could do just as well without women as vice versa - it's that we actually appreciate the life, variety and alternative insight that the other gender provides.

Unlike some.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 28-Feb-14 16:14:47

Yes of course! The notion that I woman "needs a man in her life" is rather depressing and very 1950's. Should we all start pitying the "single spinsters left on the shelf" in the style of Jane Austen? confused

Sex is only vital for reproduction, not survival.

Gay women also manage very well without a "man in their lives" don't they?

I'm not sure if your question is actually the one you meant to ask?

Innogen Fri 28-Feb-14 16:14:49

I don't need a man, and I don't need sex, but I do need an orgasm.

Batteries ftw.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 28-Feb-14 16:15:18

a woman NOT I woman! Grr.

HermioneWeasley Fri 28-Feb-14 16:15:56

How do we know that men can't go long without women and sex?

Where is the evidence?

NeoFaust Mon 03-Mar-14 18:22:43

HermioneWeasley

The Shakers would be one example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now