Talk

Advanced search

self-declared transgender males working in women's refuges

(3 Posts)
mariposita Sun 04-Feb-18 09:50:54

The Sunday Times has published an article today saying that women's aid are in talks to allow self-declared transgender males to get jobs in women's refuges.

I am currently living in a women's refuge and struggling to stop myself going into a panic attack about this. I don't know what to do or who to talk to. I'm not publicly opposed to the transagenda for fear of the backlash and am in too much of a vulnerable position in my life to deal with the hate that women who stand up to this receive.

I have found it hard enough dealing with the female staff in here as their positions are ripe for abuses of power, dealing with such vulnerable people. the idea of men terrifies me. I am on the list for council properties and am bidding but am absolutely terrified I won't get out of here in time.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/womens-refuges-may-get-transgender-staff-3txhcr8mb

I don't want to diminish your concerns at all.
I am gutted by this and I think it's a betrayal of the women who worked to establish the women's aid movement.

However I do think that it's a sector where folk are fairly good at doing risk assessments.

I'm more worried about how self declaration will impact on gyms etc where it will all be a surprise to the businesses concerned.

Also, it's v unlikely that a male person will have relevant work experience..you would have to express an understanding of feminism and women's rights at intervoew in any of the women's aid org''s near me.

Would you be able to share your concerns with womens aid England and Wales? They won't know how this would be a problem unless women speak out.

I phoned someone at my local women's aid to discuss my concerns not long ago.

I am concerned it could be a barrier for a lot of women and they're not keen to put up barriers.

Datun Mon 12-Feb-18 18:37:27

mariposita

This board doesn't get much traffic. To have more people reading your post, try posting in Feminism Chat.

There has been a lot of outrage about this. It's just this particular board doesn't get used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now