Talk

Advanced search

DP thinks that women shouldn't be more afraid of men than men should be because more men are murdered than women.

(56 Posts)
Fantastictwistsand Mon 31-Jul-17 19:57:23

Is he right? Statistically it seems he is.

It started off as an argument about women's only short lists and then came on to this. I've argued that women have much less of a chance against a man and he says I've turned it into an emotive argument now. I'm really frustrated but he might actually be right.

Xxfemale Thu 12-Apr-18 20:36:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Xxfemale Thu 12-Apr-18 20:37:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nellieellie Sat 03-Nov-18 19:13:30

I think the stats though, include men being assaulted when they are basically having punch ups in the pub etc. If you think about it, group of men having a row, yelling at each other. Then one guy throws a punch. It descends into fisticuffs. You could have 2 or 3 assaults there. If a woman gets attacked, it’s going to be a partner, family member, or random stranger - not brawling in the street. You also need to factor in sexual assaults - women being groped, harassed, - men don’t walk down the street in fear of that after dark.

nellieellie Sat 03-Nov-18 19:24:36

....to add, the stats for sexual crimes are separate, and women form vast majority of victims.

kooshbin Sat 03-Nov-18 20:31:08

Some decades ago I got into a debate with a philosophy lecturer who said he didn't understand why old people were afraid of going out at night given that most assaults victims were young males. He really couldn't get the point that the reason why most assault victims at night were young males was because the old people stayed at home.

OP - get your DP to list all the circumstances where a man can get killed or assaulted by a man. Then get him to list all the circumstances where a woman can get killed or assaulted by a man.

Yeahnahyeah Sat 01-Dec-18 07:21:55

For the love of gawd, can some of you not just see that violence to either men or woman is mainly caused in both cases by men?? Male violence is the problem. In either case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »