Talk

Advanced search

sexism in school

(6 Posts)
gillybeanz Thu 16-Mar-17 12:11:55

I know this needs to be challenged, but do I rely on my dd to tell me everytime, hoping she won't be afraid of me making a fuss.
Or do I call the HOD every time it happens?

Sometimes, it doesn't sound too bad and could be interpreted as in favour of girls, but why mention their sex.

E.g whilst doing something with a group of boys they had to demonstrate ability. The teacher went through each one telling them where they went wrong, sometimes he mentioned their school year, or general level. When he got to dd he said perfect the only one right, girl. All the others were boys, she is the only girl in this and her other groups.

So, obviously we should say something every time but would dd be in trouble for challenging this every time.
It doesn't upset her but she knows it is wrong of the teacher.

ShieldMaidenMamma Sun 19-Mar-17 20:59:27

If you mean he addresses her as 'girl', that does have to be challenged. Nothing serious to begin with, just the old "My name's .... not 'girl'" or respond addressing him as 'man'. He'll either catch on or get worse and need reported.

gillybeanz Mon 20-Mar-17 15:22:08

Thanks, it was more they were all boys and he wasn't happy with their demonstrated ability, but was with dd.
So he was implying that all the boys couldn't do it but a girl could.
it's a class that is historically predominantly boys.
Girls don't usually choose it.

sick0fmykids Mon 20-Mar-17 15:26:27

So he didn't say ''and she's a girl fellas'' as in, a mere girl is beating you. It sounds like he just said 'girl' instead of her name.
I see your point and if it had actually worded it how you think he meant it then I would make a comment to him but I think you'd end up looking like you were over reacting if you said something.

RiverdaleJughead Mon 20-Mar-17 16:13:17

Or she was just the only one who really did demonstrate her ability perfectly ... girls are generally better at school because they're taught to be people pleasers and so they know how to please the teacher ?

gillybeanz Mon 20-Mar-17 21:17:13

This teacher does have a long history of favouring boys over girls, gives them the plumbest opportunities.
I suppose I jumped the gun a bit, but want to encourage dd to stand up for herself and I did take it to mean a mere girl is better than you as it is quite a physical thing.
I won't comment about it as I wasn't there and really don't know for sure how it was intended, it just seems weird to have not given an example or reason as to what she had done so well rather than the boy/girl approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now