Talk

Advanced search

seeking help for a post-DV friend- all and any suggestions welcome

(5 Posts)
hereforsomeoneelse Mon 03-Aug-15 03:44:03

Hi there, this seemed the best place to ask for advice on a delicate topic. A friend of mine could really do with some assistance, and I'm not at all qualified to render it so I'm casting my net further abroad in the hope that some kind soul here might be able to help.

Briefly, and omitting finer points of detail, here's the predicament she finds herself in: she's a lady in her early thirties, who was partnered for over a decade to an (occasionally) violent man. This year he committed suicide, leaving her to care for their children, the oldest boy of whom is ten, and violently disruptive at school and in the home, having taken his dad's death very badly. Social services are, or were, involved when the father was alive, but with the advent of the school holidays, have backed off considerably at the very time when she is most needful of their support. She feels isolated, and though she is doing well at coping with the day-to-day care of her family, she's too tired to grieve or in any way process the father's death. She is frightened by her eldest son's temper, and he has struck out at her on a few occasions. Their relationship is deteriorating- she feels she has little control over her children, and is feeling very stressed and overwhelmed.

She's based in East Anglia, and I was wondering if someone might put me in touch with a kindly child psychologist or social care charity and/or professional who might be able to put forward some suggestions as to restore some measure of harmony to the household.

I'm happy to explain the situation at greater length to a professional, but I'm not going to do so on a public bulletin board lest I imperil my friend's right to anonymity, as I hope you can appreciate.

Thanks for reading,
regards, Nick

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 03-Aug-15 03:59:26

HAs she seen her GP? That would be a good start. Also Sure Start might be able to help.
Winston's Wish might be able to help the son with his bereavement grief.
HOpefully someone more local or with better experience will be along soon too.

shiteforbrains Mon 03-Aug-15 04:15:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hereforsomeoneelse Wed 05-Aug-15 19:19:23

Thanks and thanks again for your advice and well wishes, kindly mumsnet people, I shall pass both along to the lady in question, and hope that it will help.

Regards, Nick

starlight2007 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:26:23

Womens aid may also be able to help.. they did some play therapy for my DS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now