Talk

Advanced search

Anti-Transgendered thread in Chat

(628 Posts)
countessmarkyabitch Fri 20-Feb-15 12:39:58

Started off as a vague question about what makes you feel like a woman, lots of people started mentioning transwomen, naturally. Has now turned into some posters stating that transwomen are just men and shouldn't be allowed use female things like toilets and rape crisis, pretty much anything.

I find this really offensive and have stopped engaging. My personal feminism encompasses women who were born in male bodies, and supports their struggle to be recognised as women. I also think they need the protection and help of feminists as a particularly at risk group.

Is this an unusual stance? Does anyone agree with me?

DearMrsBs Thu 18-Apr-19 20:25:34

I feel that safe spaces such as shelters are not a good place for trans women. I’m friends with a fabulous fully transitioned woman. She was the first to point out that she may be a woman but best will in the world, she’s 5ft 10, very broad shouldered and knows that to a frightened vulnerable woman she’d look like a bloke in a dress.

Ereshkigal Sat 16-Jun-18 03:00:12

Best post this in other threads. It's bad form to revive zombie threads.

Pepper123123 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:53:01

I only joined a few days ago and I'm not quite sure what the uproar is about yet, but what I do know is the comments I've seen here about Trans men and women make me ashamed to call myself a feminist.
Transphobia is anti-feminism in my opinion.

I'm absolutely appalled at the large groups of grown women who seem absolutely livid that someone would wish to live their life as they feel comfortable. Does it really pain you that much to use their preferred pronouns? To make their already very difficult life just a little bit easier by trying to be open minded?

So, so sad to read the things I've read.

I've recently found out I was pregnant after trying for some time and I hoped I would be joining a community of accepting, open women. Sadly not.

thebewilderness Sat 05-May-18 07:55:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mumtobe25 Tue 01-May-18 22:15:14

My personal feminism encompasses women who were born in male bodies, and supports their struggle to be recognised as women. I also think they need the protection and help of feminists as a particularly at risk group.

A hundred times this. No it isn't an unusual stance and thank goodness for the last two days I've been berated, insulted and given the 3rd degree in another thread just for saying the majority of Mumsnet isn't transphobic and a lot of us recognise trans peoples struggle to be recognised as what they transition to and we want this place to be welcoming to all LGBTQI people.

I knew I wasn't alone in wanting to support my trans friends x smile

Xxfemale Thu 12-Apr-18 20:42:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 07-May-17 20:38:05

Why don't you report it then, dinosaur. I'm sure if it breaks talk guidelines, it will be deleted.

dinosaursandtea Sun 07-May-17 20:30:59

The transphobia on Mumsnet is disgusting - I can't for the life of me work out why it's allowed.

Kennington Sat 18-Mar-17 18:07:12

The loos are an aside. Of course it doesn't really matter who uses the ladies. I don't want to use the ladies with men because in general they splash everywhere but it important for some.
However it does matter if a male body man is in a female prison, rape crisis centre, or competing in a female sporting competition.

HolisticMama13 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:40:06

I couldn't give a toss if someone had a penis or vagina if they were in the ladies loos!

What is going on in this world? If someone identifies as a woman what does it matter!!!!!!!!

SquirrelStandoff Thu 14-Apr-16 12:21:53

I haven't posted for years and I am so pleased to read this thread - it seems that sense will prevail after all smile It used to be such an antnest of mras, transwhacktivists and and fingers-in-the-ears naice enablers, I almost gave up hope.

PuffinsAreFictitious Thu 26-Feb-15 22:45:18

And that silencing is continuing apace.

FloraFox Wed 25-Feb-15 16:09:28

I agree AA and Hermione that we need to speak up. The problem is that although it is is a minority view, it is becoming mainstream by stealth, particularly by extending the definition of transwoman far beyond what is currently legally recognised and by silencing anyone who speaks out about it.

HermioneWeasley Wed 25-Feb-15 15:20:57

archeryAnnie - completely agree. This is why I think we need to shine as big a spotlight on it as possible. Sensible people tend to see through the delusional self serving argument of "I feel like a woman,therefore I am what a woman is, therefore biology must be irrelevant" .

We need people to be aware and speak up so women's rights can't be eroded by stealth any more

ArcheryAnnie Wed 25-Feb-15 10:30:52

Agreed, Hermione, but the extremists are the ones influencing legislation, etc. If we aren't careful, we will end up even more stitched up than we already are.

HermioneWeasley Wed 25-Feb-15 09:57:36

Fortunately, I don't think it's a mainstream view at all. The problem is only a relatively small number of people are aware of the debate at all. When you tell sensible people what's going on they are appalled and easily able to identify that bio women and trans women have different experiences and needs, and that male bodied people in women's safe space is not OK.

I think the best thing is for us all to raise awareness of this and speak about it so that all the sensible people go "wtf"?

Malabrig0 Tue 24-Feb-15 21:48:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Tue 24-Feb-15 21:02:29

Malabrig0 Tue 24-Feb-15 20:41:30

Malabrig0 Tue 24-Feb-15 20:40:34

Malabrig0 Tue 24-Feb-15 20:39:38

HouseWhereNobodyLives Tue 24-Feb-15 19:57:25

ArcheryAnnie Tue 24-Feb-15 17:41:00

Am putting it here as I don't want to risk getting the Glosswatch thread pulled: one of the signatories to That Letter, Dr Rachel Hewitt, has written a really thoughtful piece about why she signed. She writes very honestly about her experience of being raped whist at Oxford, and how it was female-only spaces which enabled her to cope with it.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/02/when-i-was-raped-it-was-female-only-spaces-helped-me-recover

(Content note for abuse of a survivor in the rest of this post)

Stavvers - she of the "cis women are bigots for not wanting sex with penises involved, but it's totes understandable if trans women don't want to have sex with penises involved" - has attacked Dr. Hewitt, not having read the article at all, by tweeting that "Rachel Hewitt thinks like a rapist". Stavvers tweeted that to her 14 thousand followers. She told 14 thousand people that a woman writing honestly, in her own name, about her own rape, "thinks like a rapist".

I just want to mark somewhere that I have every respect and admiration for Dr. Hewitt, and I am so sorry she is receiving this sort of abuse.

What do we do? Where do we go from here? Where does it end?

Hullygully Tue 24-Feb-15 12:04:52

Brilliant article. Owen Jones needs to read it.

heartisaspade Mon 23-Feb-15 23:03:28

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »