Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone taught themselves how to lift one eyebrow or is it something you are born with?

(36 Posts)
IfuckingHateIkea Sun 28-Dec-14 14:29:08

My friend can do this hmm but I can't. She has always been able to do it apparently. I wish I could because it seems like such a good social skill to have.

Would I be wasting my time trying to do eyebrow lift exercises? And yes, I probably do have too much time on my hands at the moment to be contemplating this.

IfuckingHateIkea Sun 28-Dec-14 14:29:40

Oops thought this was in Chat...

tilder Sun 28-Dec-14 14:34:32

I agree, interesting topic for feminist support grin
I can raise one eyebrow but not the other. Sad to admit but it did take a bit of practice. Occasionally useful though.

INickedAName Sun 28-Dec-14 14:36:44

I got Bell's palsy when I was around 12, won't give the whole sob story but it was hard back then, as a result, now I can only raise one eyebrow. It's my party trick. It makes my strict face to dh much more effective. My wrestling mad nephews ask me to do "the rock" impressions all the time lol.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Sun 28-Dec-14 14:37:14

I spent many an hour teaching myself this as a teenager, I love it!!

Unfortunately though I can't always control when it happens! grin

HollyBdenum Sun 28-Dec-14 14:40:49

DP has a fabulous eyebrow raise. I spent ages trying to do it, and can, but it takes effort. DS was raising an eyebrow with a smile to strangers from when he was 6 weeks old, and it was so charming that on several occasions I got given discounts and freebies in shops! So I think in most cases people who can do it were born that way.

MoominKoalaAndMiniMoom Sun 28-Dec-14 14:43:27

I can do them both separately. Never taught myself, just born able to do it.

findingherfeet Sun 28-Dec-14 14:44:19

I taught myself! A girl in Home and Away inspired me so definitely a feminist issue!! (Took forever mind...I was a determined young thing)

msrisotto Sun 28-Dec-14 14:45:23

I can't say i ever practised it, personally. I do have to slightly lower one eyebrow to raise the other though.

This is an important feminist ishoo.

BlessThisMess Sun 28-Dec-14 14:45:45

My DH and DD1 can do it and it seems it just came naturally to them. I can't and neither can DD2.

VikingLady Sun 28-Dec-14 14:47:00

I taught myself when I was about 5. Practiced for hours in front of the bathroom mirror!

My dad could do it from being a small child, and I wanted to copy him.

CuttedUpPear Sun 28-Dec-14 14:56:41

About time this important feminist matter was raised.

I think I can still do it (it's been a long time since it was required) but had to practise in a mirror first.

I can do a a great one-sided Elvis lip sneer if that helps.

msrisotto Sun 28-Dec-14 15:01:36

I can do it much better/more easily with one eyebrow than the other hmm

BrightestAndBest Sun 28-Dec-14 15:08:53

I can't do it (but wish I could). DS on the other hand has seemingly always been able to.

iseenodust Sun 28-Dec-14 15:57:24

Just always been able to do it. Has a very useful quelling property I've found but now DS can do it back at me. But DH can't do it to either of us. fgrin

thenightsky Sun 28-Dec-14 16:00:18

DD has been able to do it from birth. First time I noticed was when she was in her moses basket at about 5 weeks old grin She is the only family member on either side to have this ability, so I can only assume it's not inherited and just some random muscle/nerve thing.

Shallishanti Sun 28-Dec-14 16:02:00

definitely a feminist issue. Nothing says
'Really??'
like a raised eyebrow

Bluestocking Sun 28-Dec-14 16:02:07

Great feminist topic! I can't do this at all but often wish I could when faced with a chronic mansplainer.

alsmutko Fri 16-Jan-15 18:30:55

Cuttedup - I can do the Elvis sneer as well but only on the right side. The left eyebrow I can raise but not the left. It's curious.
Anyway, it's great fun to be able to raise one eyebrow & say 'illogical captain'.

AuntieStella Fri 16-Jan-15 18:32:28

hmm

I can do it, and don't remember ever deliberately learning.

DC can't, despite valiant efforts.

LizzieMint Fri 16-Jan-15 18:35:54

I taught myself when I was younger. It is very good for quelling. I can only do one side though

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 16-Jan-15 18:47:39

Not only can I raise an eyebrow, for extra emphasis, I can lower the other one if required! Iirc, it's just something I've always been able to do.

BertieBotts Fri 16-Jan-15 18:50:22

I taught myself.

I think we should all engender this as some kind of pavlovian response to sexism for our offspring. That way the feminist cause is furthered grin

CatsClaus Fri 16-Jan-15 18:53:05

i have to raise them both and then drop one...for some reason I cannot raise one alone.

there was a thread fairly recently about this and lots of folks had taught themselves to do it.

"parenting by eyebrow" ....was mentioned and it made me laugh grin It's a very excellent skill!

alsmutko Fri 16-Jan-15 19:00:51

I remember my dad saying 'that's nothing, I can do both at the same time'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »