Talk

Advanced search

Recommended readings of comtemporary feminim

(3 Posts)
iamawoman Mon 05-Feb-18 08:27:08

I have read the usual: greer, dworkin, de beauvoir 20 odd years ago and nothing since but the whole transgender assault on women has reignited my inner feminist, can anyone recommend some good reads that are not too heavy on the (baby/sleep deprived brain) which are more contemporary thankyou

WiltedDaffs Wed 14-Feb-18 23:43:15

I've not read these yet but I've seen Gender Hurts by Sheila Jeffreys and Female Erasure by Ruth Barrett mentioned on MN.

Also Delusions of Gender and Testosterone Rex, both by Cordelia Fine, look into the science that shows lady brains don't exist.

Socrates11 Sat 18-Aug-18 21:08:24

Here's my contribution for you six months later!
Sue Lloyd Roberts - War on Women. Brilliant book for weaving together women's experiences from across the globe to show the different ways women are under seige. It can be a difficult read at times, but important to see and understand what is going on, often in the name of tradition...and I would love to know how some of the women are getting on now.

Mona Elthawy- Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution. Egyptian journalist Elthawy rocks! Her book is a blistering account of what it means to be a woman in the Muslim world. Yes she gets a lot of flack IRL for this but this hasn't stopped her yet.

Following on from the Cordelia Fine recommendations above, Angela Saini - Inferior is excellent for looking at women and science. Debunking myths and questioning what's next, Saini looks at evolutionary biology, neuro science and anthropology for answers, and many of her quoted scientists are female. Great read.

Fifty Shades of Feminism (currently 3.99 on Amazon) is a great anthology of feminist writers. Good one to dip in and out of.

I could go on...😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: