Talk

Advanced search

Good Night Rebel Girls - transgender included

(38 Posts)
Appraiser Sat 26-Aug-17 18:09:49

I brought this book for dd last month for her birthday. She's only just started looking through it (only 6 and it is probably a bit too old for her but she liked me reading some of them to her).

The idea of the book is that it tells the story of successful females from all over the world: Cleopatra, Amna Al Haddad, Jane Austen, Helen Keller and so on.

This morning DD came across a story of a transgender named Coy Mathis. Her response was "mummy, why is there a boy in this book, that's a bit weird".

All I said was that some boys feel like they're in the wrong body, and so present as girls. Her response was but if he wanted long hair, he could just have long hair, X at church has long hair and he's a man hmm

I'm a bit perplexed by that story being in a book about successful women and their achievements.

Thoughts?
Anyone read the book?

rosareine Tue 03-Oct-17 12:51:48

I bought this for my seven year old... wouldn't have bought it if I'd realised

Copperkettles Sat 23-Dec-17 21:12:45

This is horrendous. It's so regressive.

Humpsfor20yards Mon 25-Dec-17 20:56:51

Just reading this now, dd got it for Xmas- it's a wonderful book but...

Uh?

Coy didn't like wearing boys clothes?
To celebrate using the girls bathroom coy wore a sparkly pink dress and beautiful pink shoes?

Such a surprise to see such stereotypes in a book like this.

IamNotDarling Thu 28-Dec-17 21:18:08

I’ve just read it with my 6 year old tonight. She was incredulous. “But that’s a boy! Boys can like pink. Why did his mummy take him to a doctor?”

If my six year old gets it, why is it so fucking hard for others to see through this fiction?!

Humpsfor20yards Thu 28-Dec-17 21:23:44

It really took me by surprise. You've got women who've overcome massive obstacles to achieve and then you've got a page where a boy likes pink and sparkly things and is this a girl.

It's quite...bizarre.

I hear there are calls to remove ang San Sui chi from the book.

IamNotDarling Fri 29-Dec-17 00:04:29

Her inclusion shocked me too!

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Fri 29-Dec-17 00:08:55

I bought this for dd and was very disappointed to find this story included. Dd has not yet remarked on it; I may rip out the page. She had lately entered a pink hating phase and the last thing she needs is to read that liking pink is a part of being a girl.

bigmouthstrikesagain Fri 29-Dec-17 00:16:34

I think most children actually are sophisticated enough to challenge assumptions. Dd age 9 has the book, she loves it, we read the page about Coy, she liked reading about her but challenged the idea that liking pink made her a girl. I agreed, we moved on. No big deal imo and a big overreaction to boycott the book. Dd was inspired to do a project on Nina Simone and we learned about women from history who did important and interesting things. It anything it was the inclusion of Mrs T that put me off!

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Sun 31-Dec-17 21:18:20

I wondered if there was a thread on this. Bought for my DD and she loves it but I'm refusing to read Coy's story. The rest of the book is so great, reinforcing brilliant messages about fairness, equality and the power of women to overcome in a man's world. Then this load of bilge about a boy who liked pink and dolls and so therefore was a girl. Ffs.

Callmekaren123 Fri 15-Nov-19 09:55:10

Trans women,are women.
Thats it.
Its nor rocket science..thlconfused

Callmekaren123 Fri 15-Nov-19 09:55:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

theflushedzebra Sat 16-Nov-19 20:50:57

DH worked with a South African who was part of the team that sent the first SA satellite into space. Want to know what he said to DH? "Rocket science isn't rocket science, you know." grin

TWAW is certainly nothing like rocket science. Nothing like rocket science at all. Rocket science has to make scientific sense.

theflushedzebra Sat 16-Nov-19 20:58:53

Re: the Rebel book for girls - my DSis bought it for my DD a couple of years ago - I sincerely love the book, but did do a cats bum face on the Coy Mathis page - and even considered gluing the pages together, because a young male deciding he identifies as a girl is no role model for my daughter.

In the end I used it as an educational introduction to the trans issues she will grow up dealing with... and to talk to her about the tragedy of gender stereotypes.... so it's all good really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »