Talk

Advanced search

The Women's Room - Marilyn French

(13 Posts)
BeverlyGoldberg Mon 30-Jan-17 13:17:49

This book was recommended to me by a dear friend of mine who is a radical feminist and one of the most intelligent and beautiful people I know. It's been on my to do list for ages.

I have finally got round to reading it and I just can't get into it. I have read the first chapter 3-4 times and it's just not speaking to me.

What are your thoughts on it? Is it worth sticking with? Is it a slow burner?

M0stlyHet Mon 30-Jan-17 13:33:32

I read it a long time ago, and really liked it. It is very much of its period, but I still vividly remember the chapter where, having left work on marriage because that's what women did then, she has a weekly rota of make work - including polishing the silverware in the fancy case given to her as a wedding present, even though they have never been used - in order to stop herself going mad. It's a very tiny snapshot of a very limited social class (and very privileged social class) - but its a story of a woman in a gilded cage, and how even gilded cages are still cages.

GrumpyOldBlonde Mon 30-Jan-17 13:38:12

I read it 30 years ago and it opened my eyes to a lot of things (I was about 18 then), I think I read it 3 or 4 times in all.
I imagine it is rather dated now, but stick with it, I wasn't keen on the early chapters but the characters lives change dramatically as it goes on.
As I say though, it is probably dated and very much of it's time.

Thingirlstuckinfatsuit Mon 30-Jan-17 13:41:57

I love this book, but I do agree it's a bit dated. Unfortunately, we still seem to be facing some of the same issues, which is rather depressing. I would say stick with it.

imthelastsplash Mon 30-Jan-17 13:44:30

Another who loved it when I was 18 - I re-read it a few years ago and it is very dated - it's worth reading though

BeverlyGoldberg Mon 30-Jan-17 20:42:10

Thanks everyone did your thoughts. I'm going to knuckle down and give it another go

BeverlyGoldberg Mon 30-Jan-17 20:42:35

For*

PidgeyfinderGeneral Mon 30-Jan-17 20:49:36

That book pretty much changed my life when I was 18 and a friend gave it to me. It's been on my must-read-again list.

HelenDenver Mon 30-Jan-17 20:53:16

I don't think I finished it. Should try again!

BeverlyGoldberg Tue 31-Jan-17 10:25:55

I'm not fussed about it being dated, it's just one of those books that I've picked up and read the first few chapters a few times and then put down.

I need to make more of an effort with it I guess. I'll start it again and see how I get on.

iamawoman Mon 05-Feb-18 08:20:18

I tead this book several times 20 odd years ago and loved it but i would think it was of its time and quite retro now😀

TheRoadLessRocky Tue 06-Feb-18 00:31:41

It definitely picks up. The first few chapters are confusing with the narrator talking about some women randomly but once she focuses on Mira's life properly I got into it. Only halfway through though so not sure if this style of narrative continues or if it goes back to rambling about various unexplained characters.

BlytheByName Fri 04-May-18 00:11:55

I read this a couple of times in my teens. It definitely radicalised me.
I want to read it again this summer, along with the Little House on the Prairie books!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: