Talk

Advanced search

Best Books Written by Women You've Read this Year!

(30 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Dec-11 19:29:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tancub Sat 04-Aug-12 21:35:29

Just reading: The Women's Room by Marilyn French - I want to talk about it, it has filled by head!

Just read, and enjoyed:

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood

Room by Emma Donahue

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

phdlife Tue 31-Jul-12 22:52:45

I have become a big fan of Anita Heiss this year. She writes glossy Koori chicklit with a shedload of race politics thrown in: glamorous, smart, ballsy, and fun!

I was also bowled over by Catherine Jinks's The Gentleman's Garden, though most of her other stuff hasn't appealed as it's too vaguely dan brownish (and I say this purely based on cover blurbs)

IamtheSnorkMaiden Tue 31-Jul-12 22:45:36

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
The Vagrants - Yiyun Li
I Heard The Owl Call My Name - Margaret Craven

Currently reading Wide Sargasso Sea.

puffylovett Thu 21-Jun-12 10:27:00

I've just finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - amazingly great book, I loved it. It was that good I didn't skip to the end or abandon it mid through as I usually do. Set in the early 20th century and overtones of women moving from the suppressive Victorian era to the freer twenties and gaining independence. But with a lot of sacrifice along the way. And it's a mystery / love story. Beautifully written.

24HourPARDyPerson Wed 20-Jun-12 23:38:53

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson - just amazing, dreamlike, almost eerie fluid, about.... the different ways women drop out, I suppose.

Not overtly feminist, but definitely female centred. Was going to suggest it for the book club (even though i'm not a bc reg under any of my names, but I thought someone else may think it worth considering)
then I thought, well it's not overtly feminist, is it? Then i thought, well yes it is, if you consider it a feminist thing to write a Slim Book about the Big Things, meaning of life, loss etc purely from a female perspective with hardly any men even as bit parts.

Rambling now

Takver Thu 19-Jan-12 22:26:14

Oh, I used to love Marcia Muller. Haven't thought of them for years smile

I still have loads of the Women's Press books, just found a whole list of the Sci-fi titles here - must track down those I haven't read.

Great!

MrsMagnolia Wed 11-Jan-12 20:24:53

Ooh thanks both. I love finding new authors.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 11-Jan-12 19:28:31

MrsMagnolia Wed 11-Jan-12 19:24:30

Not exactly the height of literature but I got a whole bundle of books from ebay for the Kindle and although they were mainly "men's" literature (think Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Lee Child etc) there were a load of Sue GRafton ones.

So I have been reading these - mainly in the middle of the night bfing! They have a really strong female lead Kinsey Millhone which is great. And they are easy reading for 4am grin.

BasilRathbone Sat 07-Jan-12 10:56:25

Oh my DS watched that. (The JK Rowling thing)

Must see if it's on replay.

yellowraincoat Sat 07-Jan-12 00:47:03

Alice Munro, ANYTHING by Alice Munro, been reading all her stuff again lately. Just love her style.

TheButterflyEffect Sat 07-Jan-12 00:46:10

BasilRathbone Thu 05-Jan-12 23:31:36

Jean Rhys - Wide Sargasso Sea
Cordelia Fine - Delusions of Gender
Backlash - Susan Faludi

Can't remember any others...

MMMarmite Thu 05-Jan-12 22:47:48

The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin - dragons and wizards with a feminist perspective, especially in the fourth book smile

Harry Potter, can't go a year without reading at least one!

I think my taste is a bit less refined than some of you grin

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 04-Jan-12 20:13:05

Selky Wed 04-Jan-12 19:54:47

The Retribution - Val McDermid

Prolesworth Wed 04-Jan-12 19:51:31

In fiction, Room by Emma Donoghue was brilliant and v pro-woman, and A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan was pretty amazing as well.

In feminist nonfiction, Loving to Survive by Dee Graham. OMG that book is EPIC.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 04-Jan-12 17:36:06

The Help Kathryn Stockett
Also second Kris Radish - Elegant gathering... Just read that and it was great!
Crimson China - Betsy Tobin. Was an MN book club book a few months ago.

Hogmanayhoneyblossom Fri 30-Dec-11 14:25:36

I've not read much but liked Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir.

chibi Tue 27-Dec-11 16:31:43

i second the lacuna
also The Year of The Flood (margaret atwood)

i am in the middle of reading the latest sara paretsky (v i warshawski novels) and it is v good indeed

BarfTheHeraldAngelsHeave Tue 27-Dec-11 16:27:49

SGM, if you liked Lisa See then you will probably enjoy Anchee Min. I've read a few of her books now and they are those rarest of things - good books that concentrate on a female lead and deal with history from a female perspective.

I'm reading Pearl of China at the moment which looks at the early life of Peal S. Buck and concentrates on a frienship with a Chinese girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now