Talk

Advanced search

Great books for pre schoolers

(16 Posts)
Tuppenyrice Sat 09-Jul-11 15:20:30

I'm weary of arguing with my 3year old daughter. Many of the books we read have male protagonists. That is fine but she insists on saying "no, it's a girl"
So, can someone please suggest some great books for her age with female leads. Many thanks.

Tuppenyrice Sun 10-Jul-11 16:00:51

smile

IamtheSnorkMaiden Sun 10-Jul-11 16:27:02

Sophie in The Tiger Who Came To Tea - Judith Kerr
The Bog Baby - Jeanne Willis and Gwen Millward
I Love You, Blue Kangaroo - Emma Chichester Clark
Miki - Stephen Mackey
The Emily Brown books by Cressida Cowell, but she might be a bit young yet to really enjoy them.
Tilly and Friends books by Polly Dunbar
Katie Morag stories - Dr Mairi Hedderwick
Naughty Little Sister - Shirley Hughes? (again she is probably a bit too young)
Daisy books (eg Eat Your Peas) by Kes Gray and Nick Sharratt
Handa's Surprise - Eileen Browne

And of course all the classic fairytales like Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel etc etc etc.

IamtheSnorkMaiden Sun 10-Jul-11 16:34:35

Oh and I can't believe I forgot Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman. It's a beautiful book.

Tuppenyrice Sun 10-Jul-11 17:36:56

Thank you smile
We have Miki - gorgeous book.
Will check out others too. Thanks again.

steviesmith Sun 10-Jul-11 19:56:17

Emily Brown is great. The Gruffalo's Child is another one.

The Wild Girl by Chris Wormell is fantastic. A very resourceful little girl who my DS insists is a boy so it works both ways!

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 12-Jul-11 16:14:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tuppenyrice Tue 12-Jul-11 17:33:06

Thank you.
Room On The Broom is great.

Chaotica Tue 12-Jul-11 17:36:27

'Lima's red hot chilli'

Chaotica Tue 12-Jul-11 17:36:58

Stella from Earth

Tuppenyrice Wed 13-Jul-11 12:59:24

Thank you all for your replies x

farrowandballs Thu 21-Jul-11 21:06:35

The Paperbag Princess!!!

DontCallMePeanut Sun 07-Aug-11 20:54:02

The Pirate Gran books (I think there's only two, and I can't remember who wrote them)

Haven't read Blueberry Girl yet, but DS loves Wolves In The Wall (female protagonist) Again, it may be a bit old for your DD - even though it's a picture book, it's aimed at older children. DS just overtook my lap when I was reading it.)

EvilTwins Sun 07-Aug-11 20:55:53

You can get picture book versions of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books (My First Little House books) which are lovely. Try Amazon - I couldn't find any in book shops.

EdithWeston Sun 07-Aug-11 21:00:59

Try Ella's Big Chance. A lovely picture book reworking of Cinderella, in which she jilts the prince in favour of Buttons.

DontCallMePeanut Sun 07-Aug-11 21:09:41

Have added that to my list to watch out for, Edith...

I've got a game, Tradewinds, on my laptop which features a side quest based on The Little Mermaid (the Disney Version). But at the end of that, the mermaid jilts the Prince, pointing out he only wanted her for her voice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now