Cordelia Fine Webchat: Friday March 25 at 11 am.

(110 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Tue 15-Mar-11 16:44:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Tue 15-Mar-11 17:06:01

msrisotto Tue 15-Mar-11 17:20:07

Ooh fantastic. I notice Simon Baron-Cohen and Cordelia have exchanged messages published in the letters section of the BPS magazine, has he been in touch otherwise? Do you think you gave his studies/theories an unfair rap?

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 15-Mar-11 17:21:28

msrisotto Tue 15-Mar-11 17:25:27

No I don't, I am a member and get the magazine delivered, don't know if it would be available online.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 15-Mar-11 18:46:51

msrisotto Tue 15-Mar-11 20:54:47

oh SGM there was no need for such personal attacks as that, words hurt! grin

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 15-Mar-11 20:56:49

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Mar-11 21:03:57

Sorry! Am emailing you now.

msrisotto Tue 15-Mar-11 21:06:46

The links to blogs and other widely accessible articles are allowed surely?

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 15-Mar-11 21:18:34

LeninGrad Wed 16-Mar-11 14:20:47

treetrunkthighs Thu 17-Mar-11 22:01:07

<<waves>> to a fellow Woman of Independent Mind wink

ensure Fri 18-Mar-11 00:06:46

Oh, I just finished this book! Very good, interesting, thought provoking.

alexpolismum Sat 19-Mar-11 10:56:21

The media is dominated with sexist pseudo-science, as explored in your book. How do you think we can change this? How can we get the media to take up the debunking of sexist myths?

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 19-Mar-11 13:17:33

Hi Dr Fine.
I do a lot of work in sport and struggle with being a feminist in what is a very patriarchal environment.

Why do you think that competitiveness in women is viewed with more distaste than in men to the point that (certainly in my experience in male-dominated sports) it is ridiculed that women are even as competitive as men?

And following one: At the moment it is generally believed that men have around 10% more physical strength than women (if you look at competitive sports and the respective records for men and women). Have you (or anyone that you know) ever explored whether this is indeed the case or whether this is possibly another "glass ceiling" for women? What I am getting at is whether you think physical strength differences are really as large as men like to make them or whether social conditioning makes it larger than it should be - even in the world of competitive sport where performance is everything?

Hope that makes sense! And can I just say thank you very much for writing your book. I always felt when I was younger that there were very little differences between men and women but gradually had that notion bashed out of me (metaphorically). So it was with great relief that I now realise my original thoughts have plenty of credence!

CaptainBarnacles Tue 22-Mar-11 10:36:50

Hi Cordelia,

Just wanted to say how much I loved your book. I found it enormously cheering, and had to resist the urge to press it upon everybody I know! Now for my question:

As a fellow academic, I was struck by how well you write, and how funny you are. How easy did you find it to cast off your scientific writing style? And have you got any tips for other academics trying to write books which are actually fun to read?

Thanks.

David51 Tue 22-Mar-11 15:18:59

General question: Has anyone done one of these webchats before? Is it possible to view the contributions when its all over?

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 22-Mar-11 15:24:31

David51 Tue 22-Mar-11 15:30:58

thanks - I thought that must be the case

LeninGrad Tue 22-Mar-11 16:03:31

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 23-Mar-11 13:49:16

David51 Wed 23-Mar-11 19:02:58

Leningrad how about 'Women can't understand the offside rule.'

Like,you need to have the brain of the average male footballer to figure out something so complex hmm

scottishmummy Wed 23-Mar-11 22:49:32

Dr Fine i like that you robustly refute (with evidence base) biological pre-determinism and notion of "female" brain.In particular the oft touted mummy brain,is a galling notion

Q i think fMRI has a lot to offer neuro-psychology,what specific areas of study would you like to see it expand upon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now