Talk

Advanced search

Kid suspended for saying there are 2 genders

(11 Posts)
LadyWho Sun 23-Jun-19 17:12:44

Teen, 17, who sparked row for saying there are only two genders ‘suspended from school for three weeks’

I hope this link works

What is the world coming to? I get that sex and gender aren't the same thing but I think this kid was trying to make a point about the absurdity of claiming to be anything other than male or female. The punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

Childrenofthestones Tue 02-Jul-19 09:02:40

I clicked the link thinking this was hyperbole and that in reality he was being suspended for 3 weeks because he posted the teachers image onto social media, but no, ......he really is suspended for 3 weeks for speaking an opinion in a classroom.

Still if nothing else it will prepare him for the stalinist environment he will meet when he gets to university.

Childrenofthestones Tue 02-Jul-19 23:39:48

Latest

He's been expelled. Even though part of the agreement for being suspended for 3 weeks was to not talk to the media about the case, which he hasn't.

Bluerussian Wed 03-Jul-19 05:55:17

I sincerely hope the chap does talk to the media about this now, how he has been treated is outrageous. A wider coverage might well cause public outcry leading to much needed change in official attitudes to trans people. On another thread I read that a scientific body are taking measures against 'TERFs'. What is the world coming to?

SchooledUp Wed 03-Jul-19 06:05:39

The school has been ridiculous I agree but was he definitely suspended/expelled for what he said or for videoing the teacher and uploading it? The article doesn't quite make it 100% clear.

SchooledUp Wed 03-Jul-19 06:11:08

In the Mail article it links to it says an 'education source' (??) says he was suspended for the filming, but still disturbing that he had to have that argument in the first place and that another school have come out with this as official policy.

Childrenofthestones Fri 05-Jul-19 07:20:35

"and that another school have come out with this as official policy."

Which.....the multiple genders policy or the expulsion for uploading embarrassing footage of what they are teaching our kids, policy?
I would place this young man alongside other whistleblowers and the schools response alongside other bullying authorities trying to restrict information that they know full well shows them in a bad light and the largest majority of the public disagree with.
The impression I got of the teacher was judging from his age and his delivery, just a jaded journey man, walking on eggshells, trying not to say the wrong thing and counting down the clock to his pension.

SchooledUp Wed 10-Jul-19 21:26:24

I meant the multiple genders, not allowing anyone to be gender critical. I'd completely support the boy whistleblowing but I think the secret filming and then uploading it crossed the line. If he'd taken it up with the school that would have made the point in a better way, now it looks like he was wrong because he was wrong to film, when he had a good point but needs to learn to handle it better.

PreseaCombatir Fri 02-Aug-19 17:56:52

The thing is, if he hadn’t filmed and just taken it up with the school then it would have either been dismissed or minimised.
Because it’s on film there can now be no dispute about the conversation that was had.

PreseaCombatir Fri 02-Aug-19 17:57:22

Oh, don’t know why this popped up, it’s really old?!?

Quineothebroch Wed 23-Oct-19 14:18:59

Has the child be readmitted to the school? Any follow up in the local media?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »