Talk

Advanced search

How to start

(3 Posts)
LordPickle Sun 17-Feb-19 22:13:41

Hi all, I've been reading the feminism boards for awhile and I really want to do my part to bring our issues into the mainstream conversation.

I'm American and I've got about 11k followers on Twitter which I use mainly to rail against Donald Trump. I'd love to use my small platform to talk about the trans issues but I feel like I don't know where to begin or how to phrase it in a way that won't alienate my followers.

Can anyone offer advice on how I can begin tweet about women's rights being eroded by the trans agenda?

I apologise in advance if this is seen as goady but I'm genuinely hoping to get some good responses.

Oldstyle Sun 17-Feb-19 22:28:15

I'd start with sport since it's current (see Fair Play for Women website / Martina Navratilova article in today's paper / all over Twitter), it's relatively clear cut and a majority of people can understand that it's unfair, especially when they see pictures of the transwomen who are involved. Having said that, it's also striking how many trans activists and allies continue to defend the right of trans women to compete against women, and use spurious data to support that position.

MhairiV Sat 09-Mar-19 01:26:14

Agree with the above. Pick something topical and begin that way, sport is the obvious one right now. Establish the credible opinion leaders and RT their stuff once you've read it for yourself - either quoting headline comments/stats or if confident, add your own commentary.

Don't do too much too fast. You're planting seeds. Edging your way in smile

If you need pointers check the timelines of those leading the discussion, people like Sharron Davies, Kelly Holmes. They're making a shield for you to work behind. If you need specifics then go to: @fondofbeetles @MRKHvoice @DebbieHayton @janeclarejones @fairplaywomen

Just for starters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »