Talk

Advanced search

Who's up for a self-ID day of activism?

(246 Posts)
YesItsADebate Fri 23-Feb-18 15:06:29

Following on from my swimming thread, I'd like to guage interest to see who would be interested in taking part in a day where we all self-ID as men and take part in various forms of activism.

Some ideas from the other thread:

- a mass swim in the men's pond in Hampstead;
- manspreading on public transport;
- sunbathing/sauntering around in shorts and flip-flops;
- using the men's loos;
- using men's changing rooms;
- applying for membership of men-only golf clubs, gentlemen's clubs, the Freemasons' men's lodges etc.
- going to men-and-toddler play sessions (with bacon butties!);
- mansplaining, interrupting other participants in meetings and generally acting with a chauvinistic sense of superiority.

I'm sure you can come up with more. Vaguely planning for the summer when it's a bit warmer! Anyone up for it?

Disclaimer: while the law on Exposure (formerly indecent exposure) only applies to genitals, exposing breasts in public may amount to a public nuisance if it's done with the intent to shock, upset or annoy. I'll have a look a bit later for better guidance.

averylongtimeago Fri 23-Feb-18 15:28:11

Well lots of men wear rash vests, which would get round that.
And as a lot of TIMs don't bother to make a lot of effort to pass, then why should we?

Kookabura Fri 23-Feb-18 15:32:18

I think being topless is an important part of any swim. Men can go topless in swimming pools. (nb Women can't go topless in the ladies pond.) If I identify as a man, why can't I go topless in the men's pond? I am a man, my breasts are male breasts. Plenty of men have moobs.

SnowontheCordyline Fri 23-Feb-18 15:37:59

Yes. I'm up for this. Hampstead Pond, men-only Club applications, and use of "Gents" facilities in high profile public buildings.

I've already been researching my local leisure centres to see whether they have published any policies about sex segregation and self-ID; most are Council run so have no excuse for not knowing the legal position.

yesits Could you share the initial email you sent to your local Leisure Centre? It clearly got their attention as you got invited in for a meeting; I'd like to draft something similar.

TulipsInAJug Fri 23-Feb-18 15:47:17

I live in Northern Ireland but I'd travel to London for an organised Hampstead Heath swim-in protest.

The ponds being open to trans-women has already got publicity in the press. It would be a great publicity stunt to do a mass swim-in of self-IDing men in the men-only pond

Somerville Fri 23-Feb-18 15:48:28

The ultimate, to my mind, would be finding some sympathetic men who would nominate a self-ID "man" friend for membership of Brooks or the Savile club, or another of that type. (It would probabaly lead to them being stripped of their membership, so they'd need to be eyeing up switching to a mixed and younger and funner club anyway.)

Married3Children Fri 23-Feb-18 15:50:02

Following

SciFiFan2015 Fri 23-Feb-18 15:51:22

Anyone know what we could do similarly in the central belt of Scotland?

yorkshireyummymummy Fri 23-Feb-18 15:52:51

What happened to your swimming thread? I was reading it, had to do something very important and exciting (I wish) and now I can’t find it!

In answer to your question yes yes yes! It’s just such a pity so many things are London based. Trains are not cheap sadly.

Don’t mind what we do but, for the record, due to problems internally caused by childbirth ( i would like to see a trans with the problematic insides I have. Then they can call themselves a woman!) I can fart like a man. Does this bring anything to the party??

newmumwithquestions Fri 23-Feb-18 15:52:57

I’m not doing anything involving getting my man boobs out.

Also I’m not sure about the father/toddler groups. Half of me agrees that they shouldn’t be excluding women, the other half thinks that men who are taking a leading role in childcare don’t get the easiest ride and let’s not make it harder for them.

However I’m very up for applying for membership of gentleman’s clubs, using men’s loos, etc.

HelpTheTigers Fri 23-Feb-18 15:57:50

Hmm - I'm a weedy wimp but might join in if there were enough other men with me.
<<so that I could hide>>

Northern though and no chance of a trip to London, but a local event would be a distinct possibility.

TimbuktuTimbuktu Fri 23-Feb-18 16:11:30

I'm so up for invading the men's pond and will definitely get my tits out and cultivate a good garden of body hair to do this.

How about a May bank holiday? If it's warm it will be super busy.

JellySlice Fri 23-Feb-18 16:12:17

The trouble with letting our man-boobs float free is that, rather than make them uncomfortable, a significant proportion of males would just go "Oh-ho! Let's enjoy the view!"

What if instead we silently stared at the males, at their uninteresting crotches, and then commented unfavourably on them to each other.

Elletorro Fri 23-Feb-18 16:13:26

It’s the woman’s march on 8 March in Manchester

I’d love to march under a banner / dressed up but no idea what would work.

Mywifenow Fri 23-Feb-18 16:25:42

Also northern, Leeds to be precise would be happy to enter loos and changing rooms preferably with other TIFs for the moral support.
I'm a bit of a wuss compared to the OP and sadly hung up about my far from pert boobs.

WiggyPig Fri 23-Feb-18 16:27:28

I'm up for a Hampstead swim and applying to men's clubs.

Not sure about the dad and tot groups because they serve a need (that shouldn't be there if there wasn't a perception that dads have to be bribed to spend time with their children)

Mywifenow Fri 23-Feb-18 16:31:13

Are there any high street chains that are openly allowing of TIM'S in female spaces that we could target?

TrustNaeFuckerEver Fri 23-Feb-18 16:33:01

I'd probably be up for the Hampstead Heath swim.

TrustNaeFuckerEver Fri 23-Feb-18 16:33:55

Are there any high street chains that are openly allowing of TIM'S in female spaces that we could target?

Topshop I think, so Topman would be a good place to visit.

Cliveybaby Fri 23-Feb-18 16:34:22

@Mywifenow Topshop changing rooms?

Cliveybaby Fri 23-Feb-18 16:34:41

@TrustNaeFuckerEver beat me to it!

TrustNaeFuckerEver Fri 23-Feb-18 16:35:15

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/topshop-and-topman-make-all-changing-rooms-genderneutral-following-backlash-from-transgender-a3686506.htmll

Patodp Fri 23-Feb-18 16:41:46

Topman would be a good one because most people have one local to them.

And M&S men's department changing rooms. M&S also have a cafe so we can use the men's restroom after our nice manly snack of bacon.

Patodp Fri 23-Feb-18 16:43:06

Men's badminton or squash groups at the leisure centre.

Patodp Fri 23-Feb-18 16:44:19

I'll definitely be at Hampstead Heath ponds when it's on.

Can someone clarify if the men's pond is actually open to self-ID men though, Or does it matter?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: