Talk

Advanced search

Advice pls been refused access to sporting facility

(13 Posts)
sallyrmsmith Fri 19-Aug-16 18:54:15

Apologies if I am posting in wrong place. I have recently been refused access to a sporting facility because I am pregnant.
The loval authority public funded Olympic legacy venue state this is their policy.

I'm competent in the sport which does have its risks but with experience I understand where those risks lie and don't take them.

Is this legal?

originalmavis Fri 19-Aug-16 18:55:57

Was it bungee jumping? Otherwise I can't really think why.

NoFuchsGiven Fri 19-Aug-16 18:57:29

Which sport? just being nosey

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 19-Aug-16 18:57:48

More information needed as it completely depends what the sport is! If it's something that is generally not advised for pregnant women for medical reasons then it's likely that their insurance will be void if they let you take part.

sallyrmsmith Fri 19-Aug-16 19:03:40

Track cycling

sallyrmsmith Fri 19-Aug-16 19:04:23

Up until recently I've been racing track. Have now retired for season as getting to fat.

DoreenLethal Fri 19-Aug-16 19:09:57

a - what sport?
b - how pregnant?
c - probably trying to ensure you and your babies safety rather than just trying to piss you off.

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 19-Aug-16 19:15:45

Ah, at Olympic Park? It will likely be be a H&S thing and they will have undertaken a risk assessment before deciding this policy- sadly it's not just about how good you are but how vulnerable you are on a public track where there could be people who aren't quite as aware.

veryproudvolleyballmum Fri 19-Aug-16 19:18:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

heknowsmysinsheseesmysoul Fri 19-Aug-16 19:23:44

As above poster said - it would appear to be a H and S issue.

whattheseithakasmean Fri 19-Aug-16 19:36:37

I think it is reasonable - my riding instructor didn't give me lessons when I was pregnant, even though I was happy to continue to ride (and did, I have my own horses). I respected his decision - I am sure the insurance implications would be too high to justify commercially for the venue.

Lostwithinthehills Fri 19-Aug-16 20:11:43

There are lots of things that exclude pregnant women, for safety reasons and insurance reasons. People fall off bikes, I expect even you have, on occasion, OP. It must be the case that the venue and staff don't want the risk of an injury to you and the potential law suit or prosecutions that could follow.

KiteCutter Mon 22-Aug-16 10:56:37

It's something I encountered with hockey. I (as a female) argued that a knowingly pregnant woman should not be playing (unfortunately the League disagreed; although when I was captain of a team I nicely told a team member that I would not be selecting them for this reason).

It is not the fact that you understand the risks and take that responsibility it's also how anyone having an incident with you would feel should anything happen (as an aside, in a team sport such as hockey, would you tackle a knowingly pregnant woman?).

My views on this were before I had my own children; but were brought into focus when I was pregnant with my second (although I did still umpire).

I was not playing, just spectating, but a stray ball hit me in the stomach and my DS was born 12 weeks premature the next day. I am sure there is absolutely no connection (for other reasons) but I know the guy feels guilty about it to this day (DS is now 8 and perfectly healthy thankfully).

If you want to carry on riding there are plenty of places you can do it without using a velodrome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now