Talk

Advanced search

Mooncups for women living in poverty

(23 Posts)
Albadross Sat 28-May-16 18:07:54

Does anyone know if anyone's campaigned to have free mooncups provided to women living in poverty in the UK or anywhere else?

They're not only a long-lasting solution for women who cannot afford sanitary towels and tampons, who are discriminated against routinely because they have to pay for being women having a normal menstrual cycle, but also eco-friendly.

ApocalypseSlough Sun 29-May-16 16:06:44

They are eco friendly but there are definitely issues around comfort and being patronising. There's not much dignity in being poor and having to use uncomfortable Sanpro rather than spending your own £1 in pound land for something yourself is definitely an issue.
There are some fantastic initiatives including this scheme if you want to help women access safe and comfortable sanitary protection.

Albadross Sun 29-May-16 16:09:08

I find mine much more comfortable than sanpro - it doesn't soak up all the good fluids that keep things clean up there. How is it patronising to have the option? I didn't say it should be forced on people

ApocalypseSlough Sun 29-May-16 16:21:46

I agree they're great and obviously many women do find them very comfortable and useful. But the logistics of buying them, distributing them and then the thought of a woman persevering although they don't suit but they have received it for free trouble me.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InTheSandPit Sun 29-May-16 16:45:22

In the UK, possible,but a lot of yuck factor to get over.
I'm not in the UK at the moment. Most ladies I know stock up on tampons when they go home, as they are generally not available here (Middle East), as culturally they are taboo. Therefore towels are a better solution for much of the (Muslim???) World.
Fwiw, I'm a cup convert. Two people have expressed interest - not sure how but difficulty getting swim nappies morphed to a conversation on menstrual cups on the bus on day... But even if you got someone to try one, how many people stick with them??

Albadross Sun 29-May-16 17:42:04

I wasn't saying force anyone to use them, but this is another one of those things that people will eventually have to get over any yuck factor for simply because sanpro is so shitty for the environment. Sterilisation is easy - you just boil them in a pan of water. So if you have fire and water you're all set. I also really hate the idea that anyone finds periods yuck for what I hope are obvious reasons. I think all sanpro should be free, but when you compare a mooncup with a lifetime guarantee and sanpro which can only be used once and costs money every month, it would seem to make sense that people are at least encouraged to try one. I actually bought a mooncup I'd had DS and had a shocker of a time using it - I ended up getting a refund. Then after DS I tried a Femmecup Lite that lasts 12 months. It was smaller and thinner/more flexible and I'm now converted.

Albadross Sun 29-May-16 17:43:14

That was meant to say 'before I'd had DS'

meditrina Sun 29-May-16 17:49:53

You could trial it in UK by supplying them to foodbanks, and then ask for feedback in whether many have been taken.

I would not attempt to do this internationally - I think it is something each country needs to sort out for itself in light of its own cultural practices.

And the biggest thing that might make a difference are initiatives like these www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34925238 "The unlikely sanitary pad missionary" who is making a difference both to the experience of menstruation for displaced women and girls in refugee camps, and also to women's role in the local economy by providing the means of manufacture.

EdithWeston Sun 29-May-16 18:17:19

www.wateraid.org/uk

A good charity to support before you can base anything on the assumption that adequate water is available.

nomoretaboo Sun 23-Oct-16 17:59:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IllMetByMoonlight Fri 17-Mar-17 19:28:32

I agree with Medtrina, great idea for UK food banks. I come across many women living in poverty in my work, and occasionally distribute food bank vouchers. A portion of these women might be really up for a free mooncup.

booox Mon 20-Mar-17 13:11:45

The thing that springs to to mind (awfully) is FGM. Women with the worst types would probably struggle to use them. Also, some women greatly prefer towels, even here.

booox Mon 20-Mar-17 13:13:47

A couple of years ago I saw an incredible sanitary product where the (reusable?) towels were washed in a special cup, sort of spun around. They were being created for women across the globe where water and sanitary towels were in short supply.

booox Mon 20-Mar-17 13:16:23

This was it:

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3050139/an-innovative-solution-to-menstrual-hygiene-in-developing-countries

booox Mon 20-Mar-17 13:21:20

This is a better explanation

http://marikoproduct.com/Flo

MrsJayy Mon 20-Mar-17 13:29:26

Women in poverty have a lot to contend with a tampon/towel is easier seems cleaner and there is no faffing with sterilising of it and there is also the yuck factor, thinking about the enviroment is a privilege that some women have not got.

MrsJayy Mon 20-Mar-17 13:33:23

I had never heard of a mooncup till I started to use mumsnet and I have still to see one where I buy my sanitary products they are not something I am interested in using anyway or would be able to use as i have issues,

booox Mon 20-Mar-17 13:51:01

I think it's a good idea though, and one to be considered in this country.

I know many women who use them in order to save money.

I would give it a go but I'm recently pregnant!

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 21-Mar-17 07:13:21

I think it's a great idea. Yes, among extreme poverty, water is a more basic need but the op is suggesting UK food banks as an outlet where people would save. They are much easier to use than washable cloths and much more hygienic.

VestalVirgin Thu 11-May-17 12:40:01

I wouldn't want to use a cup.

That said, for poor women in the UK and Europe, (possibly also the US?) they are a good option - don't think they're suitable for Africa, because of hygiene reasons and lack of easily accessible, clean water. Even if I didn't dislike the thought of putting anything into my vagina, I wouldn't want to insert a cup without having washed hands with soap previously!

There's an initiative that gives girls reusable cloth towels that can be unfolded to look like a scarf, so they can wash them and dry them on a line without anyone knowing what they are.
Very good idea, and much more doable for any place where clean tap water isn't the norm than the menstruation cup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now