Talk

Advanced search

Why don't all men care about feminism?

(2 Posts)
rivetedrosie Tue 21-Oct-14 21:16:36

While I support Emma Watson's Heforshe campaign, I think it's not enough. Her speech needed to be said but I feel that the kind of men who don't support feminism aren't going to be won round by an invite. To me that's addressing the kind of men who enjoy, or need, their dominant social position and saying 'I invite you to step down off your pedestal above us'. I don't think it's going to work.

I've just completed a PGCE to become a high school teacher. I've been raped twice and have experienced a sexist, abusive boyfriend. Spending a year in high schools, seeing boys taunting girls in an over-confident highly sexual way in class, treating girls badly, boys being mocked for being romantic, emotional or 'girly' and girls sobbing due to the aftermath of sexting, affected me deeply.

I think that those boys and men who are taught that relationships, romance and the family aren't things they need to be good at...aren't going to be caring about women's issues, because they're taught not to be caring. That boys and men who are taught they should be powerful and dominate, aren't going to support equality between the sexes. I'm interested to know what active feminists think.

Childrenofthestones Tue 30-Dec-14 19:32:23

Tumbleweed............?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now