Talk

Advanced search

Love for my children and major concerns re fracking

(1 Post)
EarthHelen1 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:50:26

Hi,
I am a mum to two boys whom I love very much, I also love my extended family, this beautiful planet that we inhabit, my friends and the many wonderful creatures and people who live here also...I am deeply troubled by the hurried way in which we are not being given choice re fracking being an option, being told that it will create jobs and cheaper gas, also that it will make us independent of Russian gas, we are already pretty independent, only 2% of our gas comes from there. My heart tells me that it is not safe, some of the areas in america that have gone ahead with this process have leaking wells, water sources are being contaminated, earthquakes are occurring, a well recently had to be shut down in Ohio because the people locally are experiencing earthquakes. There are many reports out there showing that there are problems with this process, there is lots of information on a brilliant site called frack-off.org.uk, factual information on the process, what you can do if you too are concerned and where you can seek advice, I really would advise you to take a look. Fracking only provides energy for a short term, with huge risks attached, in my opinion there is a rush to pursue this avenue because it makes the investors and the corporates a huge profit, but at what price ? the well being of our children, our children's children ?..just where do we think we will go if this planet is destroyed because from where I am sitting I don't see that we have an alternative other than to actively look after the planet, it is our home, we are not seperate, without it, all life would cease to be...what use is a buoyant economy and a job if there isn't a planet to live upon...This is a quote from a lady called Vicky Barnard and I feel it pretty much sums it up
"The time is now for us all to stand up and be counted.
The time is now for us all to stop destroying our beautiful home.
We have only one planet and we need to save her.
We are destroying ourselves while we destroy our planet.
We are poisoning our water polluting our air.
What are we going to drink or breath.
We are suffocating our planet but at the same time we are suffocating ourselves.
Wake up world it's time to stand now is the time to act"
I would love to hear other mums perspective on this thanks Helen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now