Talk

Advanced search

It's just a minor annoyance but please help

(8 Posts)
faeriefruitcake Sat 09-Jul-11 10:47:01

On the marriage certificate you can only put your fathers name down or leave the box blank. I was raised by my mother and wanted to put her in the box. This is not allowed. FFS it's about time these last vestiges of patriarchy were removed. A parent is a parent.

Also had I been having a civil partneship I could put anyone including a step parent down.

Please write to your MP asking for change, I have and got no joy. Looking for numbers here folks.

canistartagainplease Sat 09-Jul-11 19:49:43

Agree, this does see like a bit of a throw back.

suzikettles Sat 09-Jul-11 19:52:07

You put both your parents' details on the Scottish form.

Sorry, of no use to you, but just to point out that this particular issue isn't a UK wide problem.

redfoxy Wed 13-Jul-11 13:07:08

Yuck, that stinks. I'd sign a petition if you got one going.

Anyway, I"m not married, but I can point out another anomaly in the UK system, my daughter was born in London, UK, her father is born and bred British. I have a European passport but I do not have "leave to remain" here as I don't need it as a European Citizen. ( I have lived in the UK, worked and paid taxes for the last 18 years) We applied for a UK passport for her when she was 1 as I wanted to visit relatives abroad, and the passport was rejected and I was informed that she is not a UK citizen, unless I was married to her father at the time of her birth, she has no claim to British citizenship. It's not been much of an issue as I sorted her NL citizenship and passport straight away, but I am really annoyed that she was born in this country to an English father, but is still not considered British. Apparently the law is left over from colonial days to stop British men fathering children abroad and them having a claim to British citizenship.

Suppose this comment doesn't really belong here in the feminism section but it points out that the law is often an arse... and needs updating to come into line with current situations. And I really freaking hate it when my child is referred to as illegitimate by the law...

aliceliddell Wed 13-Jul-11 13:15:30

Love that history lesson. Just so long as those forrin women realised they were a part time facility and didn't start all this PC rubbish about rights.

suzikettles Wed 13-Jul-11 13:15:46

I think it does belong in the feminism section. This is a law that discriminates on gender, since presumably a child with a British mother and non-British father would automatically be able to claim British citizenship.

The State enabled fathers to have their fun abroad and then shirk those responsibilities by returning to the UK hmm (obv not what your dp is doing op and I get that it's more to do with colonialism than feminism, but from much the same root.).

redfoxy Wed 13-Jul-11 17:43:26

Yeah, you're right, it does belong here! Sorry faerie to sort of hijack...

TryLikingClarity Thu 14-Jul-11 15:42:07

I got married in Northern Ireland and had to put both parents down.

I agree with your point though, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now