Talk

Advanced search

Two women a week died from domestic violence; legal aid cuts will see more.

(15 Posts)
Thistledew Thu 16-Jun-11 17:30:42

Article by Left Foot Forward here .

I note that we are lagging behind NetHuns in supporting the Sound Off For Justice campaign.

Should we add our support?

aliceliddell Thu 16-Jun-11 17:36:20

Thanks for posting this, Thistledew. I'm voting Yes, support it. I put the thing on Fem. Activism re: Christine Chambers. She and her daughter could be the last deaths from what I consider to be the institutional sexism of the police.

Thistledew Thu 16-Jun-11 17:39:33

should say die, not died blush

Thistledew Thu 16-Jun-11 18:19:00

Bump!

Come on. We can't be outdone by NetHuns! grin

Tyr Thu 16-Jun-11 18:29:56

Unless something radical has changed in Gov policy, this article is misguided.
Legal Aid will still be available for victims of DV.
I support the SOFJ campaign but this is a poor bit of journalism.
Some months ago the Bar Council warned that the provision of LA in Family Law proceedings, where DV was involved, could provide a perverse incentive for false allegations of DV.
Sadly, DV tragedies will continue, regardless of LA.

Thistledew Thu 16-Jun-11 18:40:25

If you read the article, you will see the explanation. It is not just about legal aid funding for divorce cases, for which funding for cases involving domestic violence will remain, but also cuts to areas such as housing, which will mean that women who apply for and are refused housing to escape an abusive partner will have no recourse to public funds to challenge the decision.

Thistledew Thu 16-Jun-11 19:38:34

No-one interested? sad

aliceliddell Fri 17-Jun-11 18:39:52

It's a bit alarming that the sisterhood spend a lot of time talking about it but not much time acting...

unclefest Tue 05-Jul-11 13:13:32

Thanks for the link - signed. Even those at the top of the legal profession are distressed by this and are saying that it will make justice virtually inaccessible for those most vulnerable. If my Mum had not had recourse to Legal Aid we would never have escaped my violent father.

sunshineandbooks Thu 07-Jul-11 15:38:08

signed

DontCallMePeanut Sat 09-Jul-11 00:07:15

Signed, shared on FB and retweeted...

I think they hate me on FB now... grin Always sounding off about something...

unclefest Tue 12-Jul-11 11:16:15

I only belong to FB as a kind of soapbox thing now...it's not useful for much else smile

unclefest Tue 12-Jul-11 11:17:15

Just read this...
"Some months ago the Bar Council warned that the provision of LA in Family Law proceedings, where DV was involved, could provide a perverse incentive for false allegations of DV."
Ah well, a clear reason for stopping it then biscuit

TryLikingClarity Thu 14-Jul-11 15:45:29

This is an outrage but a politically silent one.

I'm starting a volunteer post in the next few months with Women's Aid and I'm sad to think about the dire situation these women and children are putting forced into.

Only just seen this. Signed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now