Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Baby blues

(12 Posts)
IJ Tue 09-Aug-05 21:02:56

Have a 3 year old and 4 month old and spend most of the day crying. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Feel like I can't go on. The house looks like a tip, I look a mess. My poor kids must think they've drawn the short straw. I'm not only crying but am short fused and crumpy. I don't want to feel like this anymore!!

motherinferior Tue 09-Aug-05 21:10:19

It's not uncommon - in that small babies are hellish IMO - but do, please, get help - you sound as if you're on the verge at the very least of PND. Go and make a BIG fuss at your doc/HV. You poor love. Get some help NOW.

IJ Tue 09-Aug-05 21:14:48

There doesn't seem to be any reason for any of it, so I feel that I'm being over dramatic. Will take your advise and speak to my doctor. Thanks.

motherinferior Tue 09-Aug-05 21:46:08

There is a reason - you have a small baby. You honestly don't have to go on feeling like this!

Littlestarsweeper Tue 09-Aug-05 21:50:42

IJ, I left it too long to ask for help cos I thought i was making a fuss over nothing. When the straw broke my camels back i pushed myself to see Doc after cancelling three appointments. Best thing I ever did. Had Pnd for about a year and half before i went to Doctor and within 6 months i could see the light. I shouldnt of done that to my family, make that appointment first thing. Big hugs

expatinscotland Tue 09-Aug-05 21:50:52

Hon
PLEASE see your GP or HV. 'Baby blues' normally last just a few weeks. 4 months and it's probably PND. A LOT of us have had this. I was on medication for 18 months for it.

You don't have to feel like this, IJ!

Let us know how it goes.

Twiglett Tue 09-Aug-05 21:51:39

it sounds like PND .. you need to see your HV / GP .. there is a cure for it .. the sooner you address this the better your life will be

poor thing .. it happens to so many women .. go get help .. please

motherinferior Tue 09-Aug-05 21:53:37

I had non-PND depression a few years back and when it lifted I suddenly remembered what it was like to not to feel so miserable all the time that I wanted to die. Go and throw a wobbly at the doc - if they don't take you seriously burst into tears there.

IJ Fri 12-Aug-05 21:19:34

Thank you all for the support. Wasn't able to stay on line on Tuesday but have just read all your advise. Thanks. Haven't had time to even take a bath - nice but am going to get some help.

expatinscotland Fri 12-Aug-05 21:22:46

Good for you, IJ! It'll be worth it. You'll see a couple of months from now when you're feeling so much better and you'll wonder why you waited so long. Don't beat yourself up. You're doing the right thing and there's plenty of people to help you.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

IJ Fri 12-Aug-05 21:29:47

Do you know if PND or Baby Blues are hormonal or if you're more like to get down if you have been depressed before?

expatinscotland Sat 13-Aug-05 19:02:33

Dunno, IJ. I had never had depression at all until I got PND. I actually had ante-natal depression, but didn't recognise it and when I gave birth I crashed in a major, major way. I was suicidal w/i days. I had no history of depression and didn't really understand what it was like at all. I just thought I must be 'crazy' - ignorant and sad, more like it.

There's so much help out there, tho, and you can take anti-depressants whilst breastfeeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now