Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

The winter months

(13 Posts)
dot1 Mon 25-Jul-05 11:30:49

My dp has suffered from depression on and off since having ds1 3 years ago - started with PND and it came back last year. It's definitely worse in the Autumn/Winter, so I want to arm us for coming months!

Has anyone tried either a lightbox, or any natural remedies - St John's Wort? She's just come off Sertraline, so we want to try to avoid having to go back on it.

mandyc66 Mon 25-Jul-05 11:35:49

i had a friend try st.Johns wart. Not for pnd just she felt down alot of the time. she said it made her feel alot better. It does affect oral contreception I believe so be ware!!!
Also can I say how wonderful you must be!!!
With you by her sid I am sure things will soon be back to normal! She is very lucky

dot1 Mon 25-Jul-05 14:41:37

bump for any other advice please!

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 14:45:43

Dot, I find the winter terribly hard to get through too. I think a light box is a very good idea. I also think lots of 'strategies' are a good way to go; for me, exercise is very important.

I wrote a piece on my own experience of depression, a while back, which had a bit about strategies etc and some useful organisations. Do CAT me if you'd like it.

dot1 Mon 25-Jul-05 14:49:59

thanks MI, I will if that's OK. Exercise is a good point - I might look into chucking dp out of the house to start going swimming (she likes swimming, I hasten to add!).

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 14:50:33

No problem.

Yep, boot her out, that's the way to go.

marthamoo Mon 25-Jul-05 14:52:29

I took St.John's Wort for about 6 months when I really didn't want to go back on a prescription antidepressant and it worked very well for me, no side effects and it was easy to come off - I just stopped, with no withdrawal problems (I didn't know it could affect the efficacy of the pill - wasn't on it then -but I'm assuming this wouldn't be an issue for your dp ). In Germany I believe it is more widely prescribed for mild depression than conventional anti-d's.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has used a lightbox - I'm definitely predisposed to S.A.D. and would love to know if it can really help.

marthamoo Mon 25-Jul-05 14:53:21

Yeas, I know exercise is supposed to help too...just sounds too much like hard work <<<sigh>>>

Fennel Mon 25-Jul-05 14:54:54

I have a lightbox. it seems to make a difference. you have to be able to sit by it for a certain length of time every day though - it's not great for days at home looking after toddlers. better when I'm working at a computer all day.

exercise definitely works well, except in the middle of winter if you are truly SAD you can't be arsed and just sit around eating and drinking yourself into deeper gloom.... it's a great cure if you aren't already too down to be bothered

i borrowed a light box before buying one, that's recommended, not everyone gets on well with them.

moondog Mon 25-Jul-05 14:55:17

Dot,winter makes me very low (not depressed but still not great) and I have found the best way to cope is by forcing myself to walk for an hour at the brightest part of the day.

I survived the longest loneliest,coldest,grimmest Turkish winter in years just recently by forcing my dh to come home from from work every lunchtime,so that we could walk. (Snow to deep for me to cope with dd and the baby in a pram on my own.)

Papillon Mon 25-Jul-05 14:58:04

Well this is abit obscure but have been reading about Orgone Generators in the last week. Some info from the site...

Many people notice positive emotional effects in the presence of orgone generators. Mood and emotions tend to elevate. Some people who have trouble falling asleep report that they can sleep better and more soundly with an orgone generator in the bedroom. Many people have noticed that plants grow more vigorously in the vicinity of an orgone generator. I saw a Kirlian (aura photo) photograph of an HHg that revealed a large dome of blue aura energy surrounding the HHg. It's definitely emiting some form of energy that seems to be positive in nature.

Orgonomy

motherinferior Tue 26-Jul-05 16:31:22

do CAT me, dot - I tried to get hold of you but your not CATtable! x

dot1 Tue 26-Jul-05 19:27:18

Hi MI - thanks - but I'm having trouble CATing! I think it's because way back in the mists of time I changed e-mail address but didn't let Mumsnet know! Am trying to sort it out..! My e-mail address though is t.lakin@nwpgmd.nhs.uk so you could send it there if that's OK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now