Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Seroxat side affects question

(24 Posts)
Alannah Wed 20-Jul-05 17:22:47

I've been prescribed seroxat (they have worked sucessfully for me in the past) but when I took the first one last week I got really bad side affects. Nausea and retching (even though I'd taken them with food)bad yawning and teeth grinding and a feeling of confusion and dissasociation.

I didn't take them again as I had lots of work to do and then we were going away for the weekend and this week I've been really busy too.

I'm seeing my psychologist tommorow and am feeling in pretty good shape even though I had a 'trying' weekend

As I've said i've taken them before and not had such severe side effects, does anyone here know why the effects were so bad this time and do you think I should ask the doc for a different type. I'm really not sure if I need ad's at all

Any opinions?

starlover Wed 20-Jul-05 17:24:10

not sure about side effects but they have had a VERY bad press and gsk i think were taken to court because they lied about knowing about dangerous side egffects before releasing it

i would definitely ask for something else

lilaclotus Wed 20-Jul-05 17:34:44

i was on seroxat and got up on a different anti-depressant as i felt really suicidal and had thoughts of self-harm after being on seroxat for about 6 months. i don't know whether it was side-effects or they just weren't working... i did go from having panic attacks and anxiety to feeling really depressed and suicidal.
i had no problem switching from seroxat to the new ad's. no withdrawal symptoms.
from what you mentioned, i think you should ask for something different.

Alannah Wed 20-Jul-05 17:37:01

Thanks I will ask for something else

starlover Thu 21-Jul-05 13:42:35

lilaclotus... that's exactly the kind of side effects that GSK knew about before releasing seroxat but went ahead and did it anyway! i don't remember what happened in the end... it may be ongoing but i know it was in the news a lot a little while back!

swiperfox Thu 21-Jul-05 13:53:40

My best friend comitted suicide because of the side effects of Seroxat.

I can't believe they still prescribe it knowing how dangerous it can be.

[angry}

vicdubya Thu 21-Jul-05 14:00:46

I was on seroxat for 5 years. One year when it was actually probably treating me and 4 years to get off it .

I didn't have any side effects at all while taking it, but had a lot of problems coming off it (these are all well documented problems now).

Dizziness, anxiety etc.

It did help me initially as I was severely depressed, but if I became depressed again I would ask for a different sort.

nutcracker Thu 21-Jul-05 14:04:36

I had the yawning and jawn quivering side effect and also just felt very odd.

lilaclotus Thu 21-Jul-05 16:36:12

panorama did a programme about seroxat and it's side effects a while ago. the transcript and more info are here .

Willow2 Thu 21-Jul-05 16:44:24

One worrying thing about Seroxat is that the vast majority of people who committed suicide whilst taking it seem to do so by hanging themselves... I'm convinced of the connection, particularly as a very close friend, who was not remotely suicidal, had visions of doing just that whilst on seroxat and had to come off it quickly, which she found horrific.

When it works it can be great, but for some people it is bloody dangerous.

Alannah Thu 21-Jul-05 17:46:54

Thanks for the replies. I did know about the suicidal side affects of seroxat but as it had worked sucessfully for me previously my doc thought it was a good option. The good news is that after seeing my psychologist today he thinks that I should see how I get on without them (I'm pretty chirpy atm, and am going on holiday tomorrow and just don't feel as down as I have done recently ). Feeling quite optimistic but am open to trying a different type if I need to in the future.

Alannah Thu 21-Jul-05 17:47:57

Sorry for your loss swiperfox

lilaclotus Thu 21-Jul-05 17:48:24

oh that's great alannah! have a good holiday and take care

happymerryberries Thu 21-Jul-05 18:21:53

THis is from the current summary of product characteristics for Seroxat

'Some of the adverse drug reactions listed below may decrease in intensity and frequency with continued treatment and do not generally lead to cessation of therapy.Adverse drug reactions are listed below by system organ class and frequency. Frequencies are defined as: very common (1/10), common (1/100, <1/10), uncommon (1/1,000, <1/100), rare (1/10,000, <1/1,000), very rare (<1/10,000), including isolated reports.

Blood and lymphatic system disorders

Uncommon: abnormal bleeding, predominantly of the skin and mucous membranes (mostly ecchymosis).

Very rare: thrombocytopenia.

Immune system disorders

Very rare: allergic reactions (including urticaria and angioedema).

Endocrine disorders

Very rare: syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone secretion (SIADH).

Metabolism & nutrition disorders

Common: decreased appetite

Rare: hyponatraemia.

Hyponatraemia has been reported predominantly in elderly patients and is sometimes due to the syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone secretion (SIADH).

Psychiatric disorders

Common: somnolence, insomnia.

Uncommon: confusion, hallucinations

Rare: manic reactions, agitation, anxiety, depersonalisation, panic attacks, akathisia (see section 4.4 Special Warnings and Special Precautions for use).

These symptoms may also be due to the underlying disease.

Nervous system disorders

Common: dizziness, tremor.

Uncommon: extrapyramidal disorders.

Rare: convulsions.

Very rare: serotonin syndrome (symptoms may include agitation, confusion, diaphoresis, hallucinations, hyperreflexia, myoclonus, shivering, tachycardia and tremor).

Reports of extrapyramidal disorders including oro-facial dystonia have been received in patients sometimes with underlying movement disorders or who were using neuroleptic medication.

Eye disorders

Common: blurred vision.

Very rare: acute glaucoma.

Cardiac disorders

Uncommon: sinus tachycardia.

Rare: bradycardia.

Vascular disorders

Uncommon: transient increases or decreases in blood pressure.

Transient increases or decreases of blood pressure have been reported following treatment with paroxetine, usually in patients with pre-existing hypertension or anxiety.

Respiratory, thoracic and mediastinal disorders

Common: yawning.

Gastrointestinal disorders

Very common: nausea.

Common: constipation, diarrhoea, dry mouth.

Very rare: gastrointestinal bleeding.

Hepato-biliary disorders

Rare: elevation of hepatic enzymes.

Very rare: hepatic events (such as hepatitis, sometimes associated with jaundice and/or liver failure).

Elevation of hepatic enzymes have been reported. Post-marketing reports of hepatic events (such as hepatitis, sometimes associated with jaundice and/or liver failure) have also been received very rarely. Discontinuation of paroxetine should be considered if there is prolonged elevation of liver function test results.

Skin & subcutaneous tissue disorders

Common: sweating.

Uncommon: skin rashes, pruritus.

Very rare: photosensitivity reactions.

Renal & urinary disorders

Uncommon: urinary retention.

Reproductive system & breast disorders

Very common: sexual dysfunction

Rare: hyperprolactinaemia/galactorrhoea.

Very rare: priapism.

Musculoskeletal disorders

Very rare: arthralgia, myalgia.

General disorders & administration site conditions

Common: asthenia, body weight gain.

Very rare: peripheral oedema.

WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS SEEN ON DISCONTINUATION OF PAROXETINE TREATMENT

Common: Dizziness, sensory disturbances, sleep disturbances, anxiety, headache.

Uncommon: Agitation, nausea, tremor, confusion, sweating, emotional instability, visual disturbances, palpitations, diarrhoea, irritability.

Discontinuation of paroxetine (particularly when abrupt) commonly leads to withdrawal symptoms. Dizziness, sensory disturbances (including paraesthesia and electric shock sensations), sleep disturbances (including intense dreams), agitation or anxiety, nausea, tremor, confusion,sweating, headache, diarrhoea, palpitations, emotional instability, irritability, and visual disturbances have been reported.

Generally these events are mild to moderate and are self-limiting, however, in some patients they may be severe and/or prolonged. It is therefore advised that when paroxetine treatment is no longer required, gradual discontinuation by dose tapering be carried out (see sections 4.2 Posology and Method of Administration and, 4.4 Special warnings and precautions for use).

Adverse events from paediatric clinical trials

In short term (up to 10-12 weeks) clinical trials in children and adolescents, the following adverse events were observed in paroxetine treated patients at a frequency of at least 2% of patients and occurred at a rate of at least twice that of placebo were: increased suicidal related behaviours (including suicide attempts and suicidal thoughts), self-harm behaviours and increased hostility. Suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts were mainly observed in clinical trials of adolescents with Major Depressive Disorder. Increased hostility occurred particularly in children with obsessive compulsive disorder, and especially in younger children less than 12 years of age. Additional events that were more often seen in the paroxetine compared to placebo group were: decreased appetite, tremor, sweating, hyperkinesia, hostility, agitation, emotional lability (including crying and mood fluctuations).

In studies that used a tapering regimen, symptoms reported during the taper phase or upon discontinuation of paroxetine at a frequency of at least 2% of patients and that occurred at a rate of at least twice that of placebo were: emotional lability (including crying, mood fluctuations, self-harm, suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide), nervousness, dizziness, nausea and abdominal pain (see section 4.4 Special warnings and special precautions for use)'

Sorry the posting is so long! As it says at the start many of these get better with longer use.

The yawning thing is mantioned

ks Thu 21-Jul-05 18:58:46

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Thu 21-Jul-05 19:05:49

The thing to remember in all of this is that all of the possible side effects have to be listed in this document (I know I used to write them, not for this drug but for others). For the vast majority of people taking them side effects are minor, still annoying I know. And for most people drug side effects get better with time. Awful things can happen when people take prescription drugs but leaving people untreated can also have awful consequences.

Please don't be over alarmed at this list

alibubbles Fri 22-Jul-05 17:04:36

Message withdrawn

Vornsta Fri 22-Jul-05 17:31:22

prozac(fluoxetine) and seroxat(paroxetine) are different drugs but of the same type - SSRIs.
Fluoxetine is less likely to cause withdrawal effects.

lilaclotus Fri 22-Jul-05 20:30:16

well DP was on prozac when he attempted suicide. he went downhill fast when he started taking it. he got put on effexor (venlafaxine) and that was ok. i was put on seroxat a month after this attempt as i got really bad panic attacks out of fear of him doing it again and then on effexor 6 months later as i described earlier. effexor has it's own negatives. mainly makes you numb (but that could be better than incredibly low) and the withdrawal was very very hard. i think all ad's have pros and cons and should be used with great care. i kept a mood diary while i was on ad's to keep a record of it all.

mummytosteven Fri 22-Jul-05 20:43:15

HMB will hopefully see this and correct me if I am wrong- but IIRC seroxat has a very short half life compared to other ADs - therefore more chance of problems with withdrawal.

Seroxat helped me but is definitely the most unpleasant AD I have taken - made me feel dizzy if I didn't take it bang at the same time every day! Alannah - I think you can get different side effects on starting the same AD again - that happened to me with Prozac. Interaction between chemicals and body can be a weird thing!!!

PeachyClair Fri 22-Jul-05 20:46:49

Dh was also on Seroxat when he THREATENED (ie didnt carry out) suicide, has been off for somemonths now and much more able to cope with life

jamboure Fri 22-Jul-05 20:51:02

dh had pretty bad mood swings, sweats confusion

when he started reducing he was a nutter!!!!!! excuse the phrase but honestly didnt really know who he was it was scary

PeachyClair Fri 22-Jul-05 21:08:54

Blimey, i thought I was the only person going through / having been through all this with a dh- in some ways wish I was, but INCREDIBLY un-isolating experience

ks Sat 23-Jul-05 12:03:40

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now