Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

stressed and depressed

(6 Posts)
Busyalexsmummy Tue 12-Jul-05 20:29:19

am having a stressful time at the moment, bear with me i'll explain.
Dp was living with me part time and i was on income support(for the past yr) but he started to spend a little too much time at mine and our nosey neibours oviously rang the dwp and grassed him up.i wasnt too worried as he was due to move in full time in aug (the reason he wasnt moving in before then is because we were getting more money and were better off living seperately and he has a few debts too) but now i think its all happended too quick. basically we are now paying full council tax and rent and are on child tax credit and working tax credit.
now becuase he is paying the majority of the bills because he works, its like thats mine, thats yours situation, i feel really trapped.
basically he has ended up better off due to the tax credit he receives now(but technically not as paying bills) and ive ended up loads worse off. it really sucks, i was offered a job the other day, for £7 hr temperary till the end of sept, but when i rang the tax credit people to find out how it would effect us, basically dp's t/credit would be reduced to almost nothing and after i finish in sept it would not go back to what it is now, till next april. oviously he was not happy about that. it really sucks, the goverment are always harping on about getting people into work, but they dont exactly make it easy do they i just feel like everythings spinning out of control around me at the moment and its not a nice feeling.

thanks for listening, just needed to get that off my chest. i hope nobody i know reads this, and if they do, please dont talk about it on any other threads x

kid Tue 12-Jul-05 21:02:30

Sounds like you are in a no-win situation. Even if you would like to go and work, you wouldn't be able to afford to work, where is the sense in that? at the system for you.

Aimsmum Tue 12-Jul-05 21:12:43

Message withdrawn

Meeely2 Wed 13-Jul-05 13:28:47

Busy, why is DP getting tax credits? Should it not be you? I get the tax credits and child benefit as I am the primary carer of my twins, even though I'm married.

Busyalexsmummy Wed 13-Jul-05 15:31:04

i get child benefit-£17 p/w, and child tax credit £42 p/w, he gets the working tax credit £74 p/w as he is the one who works, im currently sahm

expatinscotland Wed 13-Jul-05 15:39:14

I HATE tax credits! I really do. DH went back to work b/c they're such a cock up. The IR cocked up our original app we sent in - said DH was on high care component DLA and JSA. I phoned and phoned to have it change. Finally had to send in a recorded delivery letter. Now they say, 'We calculated his WTC - which he didn't get as he was a SAHD for the past two years - w/a disability element, you owe us money.' Not one mention of the fact that they inflated our income by some £2800/pa for a year and half as they had him on JSA he's never gotten in his life. So now we're caught up in the whole appeal cycle - MP involved; CAB, Action Group and Capability Scotland charities involved - DH is learning disabled.

DH has applied for his dad's old job as a church groundskeeper b/c meantime we're getting sweet FA and hardly afford to eat.

If he gets the job, it comes w/a rent subsidised flat in a beautiful area. And we can tell the tax credit people to go F* themselves. Here's hoping!

Our rent, council tax and power bill are so dear they're like a bloody milweight around our necks.

I feel your pain, busy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now