Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I want to stop taking anti-depressants - what else can I try?

(13 Posts)
WannaStop Sat 09-Jul-05 13:11:00

I'm a regular poster, just changed my name for this one.

I've been on ads for nearly a year, I'm coming off them at the moment because they haven't been working and I'm meant to be starting another brand but really don't want to. I've been coming off the first lot for three or four days and already I feel clearer-headed than I have for months, and as I think the ads have actually been making my depression worse, I want to come off them altogether.

I had been happy with the idea of trying a different ad, but coming off the first one has made me realise just how much they have been clouding my mind - it's as if the clouds have lifted. The problem is, I don't think that the depression has gone away, and while I don't want to do ads anymore, I want to try and keep the depression at bay. If I need to go back on them then I will, but I'd like to try another way first.

I know that St John's Wort is meant to be good, has anyone had any positive results from it? Is there anything else I can try?

WannaStop Sat 09-Jul-05 13:43:40

Anyone?

Sax Sat 09-Jul-05 14:40:40

Hi wannastop - I don't think I can be much help really cos i've just started on Anti Ds - however - Queenflounce recommended Sepia (homeopathic) to me so perhaps chat to her about that - usually around in the week - but you probably know that if you are a regular

Sorry, can't be more help!

WannaStop Sat 09-Jul-05 16:09:32

Thank you Sax. I just thought that there were bound to be some people here who had tried alternatives to ads, and it was worth asking for input rather than going back to the GP and being talked out of trying.

essbee Sat 09-Jul-05 16:13:44

Message withdrawn

WannaStop Sat 09-Jul-05 16:22:36

I'm coming off them as my GP advised, so I'm coming off them slowly, I just don't want to start taking the new ones. I had awful side effects to start with on the old ones, and I'm getting side effects from withdrawing as well, and I just don't want to go through it again. I really feel that I've been worse since starting the ads than I was before, so just feel I've got nothing to lose by trying to cope without them. If I start to feel bad again, I will start the new ads.

I have seen my GP and a psychiatrist about the depression, and neither are keen on alternative therapies or treatments, so I'm not too happy involving either of them in the decision, to be honest. I'd rather just present them with a fait accompli, there's no chance of them talking me out of it then.

essbee Sat 09-Jul-05 16:30:48

Message withdrawn

WannaStop Sat 09-Jul-05 16:37:11

I don't really know what would be for the best. I just want to feel better, and the ads seem to have made me worse. I know there are other types to try but I just don't think I can stand the thought of having to keep going from one to another and still not feeling better.

essbee Sat 09-Jul-05 22:32:06

Message withdrawn

WannaStop Sat 09-Jul-05 23:02:02

Started on Fluoxetine, then Citalopram, and now I'm meant to be starting Venlafaxine.

essbee Sat 09-Jul-05 23:59:17

Message withdrawn

WannaStop Sun 10-Jul-05 10:00:17

Venlafaxine isn't an SSRI or a tricyclic. It's an SSNI (selective seratonin and norpinefrine (sp?) inhibitor, or something) and is bicyclic.

essbee Sun 10-Jul-05 10:53:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now