Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

drinking too much!

(18 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Jul-05 22:17:22

I'm really struggling. 26+4 weeks pregnant and for the last ten days have had 2 good size glasses of wine every night. Am very worried about this, and just don't know how to get a hold on myself. Have been physically well through pregnany, but am struggling with depression, which is obviously now not being helped by thoughts that I have permanently damaged my precious little boy! Please help.

moondog Mon 04-Jul-05 22:23:24

God, you and me both! There were times when I could have done with quite a few glasses of wine.I remember having about 4 when I was about 37 weeks pregnant over a long evening with my neighbour.

Obviously not to be condoned,but I wouldn't worry. This really isn't going to harm the baby.
The low feelings are a bit of a worry though. If you feel tempted,stay away from other people drinking and don't have wine in the house.
Spend the money you would have spent on a massage,or a book or something nice to eat.

Have you talked to your midwife?

dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Jul-05 22:28:30

my midwife appointments are very perfuntory, quick blood pressure check, doppler, etc, everythings fine, off you go, type of thing. don't feel able to admit the alcohol thing to her just feel so terrible about it.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Jul-05 22:29:33

btw, appreciate you don't condone it, but thanks for not condemning me either! made me feel a whole lot better

moondog Mon 04-Jul-05 22:30:05

Cubby, I have read loads on this. It won't have harmed your baby but obviously you do need to keep it in check.
Are you feeling able to say that you can knock it on the head from tonight? Would the idea of a fresh start,so to speak be comforting?

dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Jul-05 22:33:51

would love to think so. had a blip like this about two months ago and got it in check, so I suppose it's possible. God! I sound like such a desperate wino!

sobernow Mon 04-Jul-05 22:34:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Libb Mon 04-Jul-05 22:34:44

Cubby, I was the same - I had just split with my husband and the pregnancy was a shock, I went slightly mad for a day or more - I did speak to my midwife about it and she was great.

I had the odd moment where I wasn't so careful and Christmas was hard as I had always been prone to embrace the celebrations big time! I didn't go crazy but more than recommended on Christmas Day especially. (and other days after that ...)

I now have a beautiful 14 month old and he is my life, I kind of wish that I hadn't put myself through the worry but I know I would've gone mad without the odd splash of wine.

If you want to CAT me then you are more than welcome xxx

dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Jul-05 22:53:12

thank you all for being so kind and understanding, i feel so much better knowing that there are people out there who understand and don't think I'm some kind of monster, which was how I was feeling. have just scarfed large plate of pasta to soak up the wine, and now bubba is bouncing up and down on it! I still feel terrified about speaking to the midwife about it, can only imagine her telling me what a bad (potential) mother I am!

Libb Mon 04-Jul-05 22:55:25

your midwife will have seen all kinds of people - please don't worry. xxx

madmarchhare Tue 05-Jul-05 10:59:38

Are you taking anything for the depression?

Groggymama Tue 05-Jul-05 11:22:43

i found it hard to give up my two glasses of wine too, try not to worry so much I'm sure there's a lot of us out there. I thought if there's no-one looking the second glass doesn't count!

ninah Tue 05-Jul-05 11:27:15

I cut down bigtime earlier this year as I was overdoing it, I felt
I found to start with getting nice soft drinks in was handy, (eg Brazilian watermelon?! etc) just to have something in a glass
Now I don't miss it, I am also preg and have just the v occasional glass

dandycandyjellybean Tue 05-Jul-05 22:46:59

Just to let you know that it's been non-alcoholic all the way this evening, despite a pretty tough day. And wanted to say thanks again to all of you lovely understanding people out there who helped me feel better about myself. Still don't feel very confident about talking to the midwife about it, I'm seeing her in the morning, so we'll see! Thanks again.

moondog Tue 05-Jul-05 23:23:12

Cubby,glad to hear things went a bit better today.
It's not long now. If you're anything like me,ghastly heartburn will soon make eating or drinking anything impossible.

Plan your first post baby feast. The minute mine arrived,dh was sent packing to buy all the things I'd done without-blue cheese,rare roast beef,pate,seafood and chilled Champagne to snaffle in my hospital bed!
I certainly wasn't going to put up with bloody orange squash after all that effort.

Keep us posted.

XXX

dandycandyjellybean Tue 05-Jul-05 23:23:19

Oh, and thanks Libb for the offer to CAT you, but I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant and don't know what it means!

moondog Tue 05-Jul-05 23:24:42

Cubby,just click on 'Contact another talker' at the top of the page,and follow instructions.

kgc Wed 06-Jul-05 00:02:56

Hey cubby

hope you hanging in there...I have had four children and with all pregnancies have felt pretty down, plus have suffered postnatal depression after all of them and they are all born very close together.... there is loads of help out there and believe me you are not alone and by no way harming your baby so please do not worry, if your really think it is not right please seek advice from your midwife.......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: