Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

postnatal depression and sick leave

(11 Posts)
starsq Thu 30-Jun-05 14:31:59

Hiya can any help,,,i am suffering pnd and feeling low,am on anitdepressant for 4 weeks ,,,to top it all my 8 month old in hospital with chest infection and had pneumonia 3 weeks ago,,,work have asked to come and see me at home to see how i am and also discuss my pnd,,,now what am i supposed to do,,,i feel scared and worried they may gossip abt me back at workand feeling like they invade my privacy even when my baby is ill and is making this worse,,,they had access to my medical reports,,,help someone with advice,,,

Stargazer Thu 30-Jun-05 14:36:27

Hi Starsq

I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering from PND. It must be really difficult for you right now. Hope your baby is getting better now.

As regards work - I'm not an expert, but it sounds like they have two things in mind (1) to make sure you're okay and (2) to cover themselves!! They cannot discuss you or condition at work - if they do they are breaking confidentiality. Perhaps if you could get someone to be with you when they visit it will be less stressful.

I'm sure that there are most expert people here you will be able to give you more/better information. But I just wanted you to know that things will get better.

Regards

starsq Thu 30-Jun-05 14:43:26

i think i might ask my health visitor she is supportive to be here then,,,i just feel really not up to chatting abt myself wwhen my baby is ill,,,i dont know whats happening i just feel like i have weight of world on my shoulders ,,cant cope with life

MrsMiggins Tue 05-Jul-05 21:12:35

I'm not sure if its the case for all companies but I dont think they are allowed to come & see you if you are off work ill. I would consider it harrassment. If you had an operation, they wouldnt come round to look at your stitches. My advice is to go to CAB (Citizans Advice Bureau) or ring them. You shouldnt be put under pressure. If your doctor has signed you off, that should be good enough.

madmarchhare Wed 06-Jul-05 10:20:02

Mrs Migginns, I know what yoy mean about them not being able to come and see you at home but I think they can if its an official assessment of your illness??? Although I think that is only after a certain period of time.

Starsq, Do you work for a company that has an HR department? Could you call them independently for a chat? Im sure if they were fully aware of the situation with your babys illness they would back off a bit. Other than that, if you are working for someone who doesnt seem to be clued up on the 'rules', I would speak to citizans advice as Mrs M suggested.

Nemo1977 Wed 06-Jul-05 10:31:03

hi
work can request to see you and within a certain period of time u do have to see them. MAybe giving a phone call to whoever has arranged the meeting and letting them know that u have anxiety etc with the pnd may put the meeting off for a while. I was lucky becuase i worked in mental health so my boss knew how hard things could be so he accepted either letters from myself or phone calls from my husband. I know other companies will not do that but they are all caring people generally so just get in touch and explain ur anxieties.

Nemo1977 Wed 06-Jul-05 10:31:43

soryr meant to add it will just be along the lines of how r u doing when do u forsee urself returning to work etc nothing too complicated

starsq Wed 06-Jul-05 23:14:00

i would like to go bak when feel better wish me luk work are cumin tomrw to discuss how may be able to aid my getting bak to wk quicker

starsq Thu 07-Jul-05 15:48:06

Hi they came today hr and a new guy claiming he was my new manager at the branch,,,it was ok they went thru general how i feel when i wanted to come bak and they also gave me option to flexi work,,,,but they also mentioned that in clear terms if my sickness wnet on for longer than 2 more months they want another medical record off docter who if then advises im still not better in forseeable future they will have to terminate my employment,,,i stated it shouldnt come to that and i will try to get back soon as im well but i was shocked just imagine someone who doesnt get well would be sacked,,,is that fair,,,i undertsand there point and there rights as an employer but i was shocked when they told me that...anyhow thanks for all ur advice everyone,,,it over and done with and i can now relax and try get better

kezzax Fri 08-Jul-05 20:17:52

Im in an almost identical situation as you,-i didnt realise i had postnatal depression as wasnt depressed just extremely anxious about everything, wouldnt let my dd out of my sight- iv been on ad's for 2 months and i feel a lot better, anxieties are still there but i can cope that bit better.iv been on sick for 2 months too- my new boss came last week talking as if i was going back, asking when i would be better!! 4 times she mentioned the long distance from work and maybe i should think whether this is the right career for me, i cant even decide whether to have chips or potatos half the time nevermind where i see my future employment she also wants me to go to the office soon and meet the new team, i almost have a panic attack just thinking about it- i know this probably isnt helping you me going on but i just wanted to let you know your not on your own and if you want to email me privately so we can bore each other silly with our anxieties and problems and moan about our bosses then id love to talk to someone who knows how i feel

starsq Mon 11-Jul-05 12:25:07

thats so good to hear from u, yeh i know what u mean and it is hard ,,,work think we are ok and assume its an illness which should be treated and will go away quickly like the flu ,,,i can see it in their eyes when they ask question as if they dont believe how hard it is,,mind u how can they if they havent even had children ,,,,life is tough ,,i am dreding going bak but they have said i need to give them a return date,,,,what have yours said,,,r ur antidep working??/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now