Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

doctor has changed my ADs today

(25 Posts)
Titania Thu 23-Jun-05 12:00:26

I am now on prozac.....

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 12:03:13

Why are you sad? This is not a bad thing. Your old ads weren't working, so a change to one that might work has to be worth a try. Give them a chance, they might make all the difference.

Titania Thu 23-Jun-05 12:17:42

just the stigma of being stuck on prozac and diazepam....

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 12:21:58

What stigma? You are ill, and you need medicine to make you better. There is nothing to be ashamed of about having depression and needing medication.

If you had a headache you wouldn';t think there was any "stigma" attached to taking Nurofen, would you? What's the difference? You are taking medication to help make you better, don't be sad, be happy that your GP has taken you seriously enough to change your medicine to help you.

misdee Thu 23-Jun-05 12:22:13

i've been on prozac.

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 12:23:49

And you're not "stuck on them". Try a more postive turn of phrase: you are "taking" them, not "stuck on" them. It's a positive thing to ask for help, not a negative one.

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 12:24:29

i've been on prozac too.

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 12:27:14

I haven't been on Prozac, but I have been on anti-depressants, and when the first one didn't work, I was prescribed another which did. You're not helping yourself much by being so negative about the change of medication. Be pleased that you don;t have to take the stuff that isn't working any more - you never know, the Prozac might just work.

Titania Thu 23-Jun-05 12:29:34

DH will go mad if he finds out. He hates the thought of prozac. One of his mates was on it years ago and had horrid side effects

misdee Thu 23-Jun-05 12:30:38

would your H rather have you all depressed?

SoupDragon Thu 23-Jun-05 12:31:07

So, tell him that I have a mate who took them, had no side effects and felt wonderful. Everyone reacts differently.

He's bound to trust a dragon

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 12:31:56

Stuff your dh. It isn't him that has to go through this. And you are a different person to his friend, some anti-d's suit some people, some suit others. For heaven's sake, this is your health you're talking about, doesn't your dh want you to be well again?

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 12:35:02

titania.. prozac is VERY successful in the majority of patients. if it wasn't it wouldn;t be so well known.

ALL anti-depressants have side effects, and it is trial and error finding one that suits you. You may experience the side effects, or you may not.

At the end of the day you have to try them to see if they work. the ones you are on now aren't working so it's time to change!

if your DH doesn't like you being treated for depression then he is the one with the problem

Titania Thu 23-Jun-05 13:22:52

yes i know. sorry. just a little emotional today

lunavix Thu 23-Jun-05 13:23:49

T - has he given you citalopram? (is that the name?) I had that after prozac, much better.

Titania Thu 23-Jun-05 13:24:28

i was on cipralex 20mg before this.

gothicmama Thu 23-Jun-05 16:33:35

T - ther is no stigma with prozac a drug that half of America is on. Prozac is very good for a lot of people - think of it like AnnieQ says. Prozac can affect peopel diferently but years ago tehy give higher dosages and allow people to drink alcohol which caused severe reactions in some people (perhaps DH's friend was one of these) tke care keep faith in yourself and don't feel guilty for being ill you will recover

Titania Fri 24-Jun-05 08:21:01

i took my first one last night. feel very woozy and sick this morning. is it the tablets?. hope it passes

Evesmama Fri 24-Jun-05 08:28:27

Titania..im not here really!
but ive had lots of different ad's(about 5 or 6) including prozac..they didnt have an adverse effect on me..but also didnt work for me?
im now on 100mg sertraline(lustral) which is the highest dose my gp can prescribe and even these dont make me feel myself?..just be prepared to give them a try and see how it go's..what doesnt work for one , may do wonders for another..if this wasnt the case, there would only be one type and we'd all be fine wouldnt we?
good luck Titania..couldnt not speak to you when i noticed your thread while i was checking my for sale thread..take care and good luck

Titania Fri 24-Jun-05 09:38:39

aw hi hun! thanks!

was supposed to be meeting an old school friend today but I have just rung and called it off. Feel horrid and its raining so badly here and thundering like mad. Don't fancy dragging 2 kids out in it. dd is grumpy and ds2 hates being in the pushchair and wants to walk everywhere at the moment. My feet have all split open too for some reason and they are really sore.

essbee Fri 24-Jun-05 09:47:52

Message withdrawn

Titania Fri 24-Jun-05 10:08:51

i hope so. just when you have a bad day, everything seems to get blown out of context so easily

essbee Fri 24-Jun-05 11:33:01

Message withdrawn

essbee Fri 24-Jun-05 11:44:03

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Fri 24-Jun-05 16:08:56

This one , essbee?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now