Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Having a 'down' day.

(7 Posts)
dizzymama Tue 21-Jun-05 21:19:26

Perhaps this isn't the correct forum as I wouldn't say I'm exactly depressed but have had one hell of a day and things have got a bit on top of me and I needed to vent (sometimes I get a bit sick of being the strong one in most of the relationships in my life!)
Ok.....Today I:

Got used as a taxi by a couple of friends;
Was, per usual, the butt of jokes (supposedly meant in a friendly way) by said friends;
Scraped my car up a wall as I was rushing around;
Had a screaming baby who just wouldn't sleep as she was too hot;
Discovered I hadn't been invited to a 'friend's' BBQ when 3 other friends had;
Couldn't fit into really lovely present DH bought me to cheer up (fat slob! me, not dh!);

Ok, so put into writing perhaps it's not so bad, but still....why can't I be the one people look after sometimes? Anyone ever felt this way? What did you do?
Sorry this got long!

Louise1980 Tue 21-Jun-05 21:20:59

I understand how you feel. Its like I always have to open my doiors to everyone elses troubles and yes they are there for me but Im always put on the back burner.

dizzymama Tue 21-Jun-05 21:23:42

That's exactly it! I'm the agony aunt of our bunch, the one who will fix things,it's a case of 'ring Dizzy, she won't mind'but sometimes I do,although part of me thinks I should be flattered they think of me as a 'sorter'.

marjoriedawessassy Wed 22-Jun-05 09:48:15

Aw dizzy, chin up mate!

Perhaps you need to back off from your not-too-helpful/draining friends (are these NCT people?) and come and have a glass of wine in my back garden . You're always welcome to whinge at me!x

dizzymama Wed 22-Jun-05 10:03:07

Hello again! Our posts cross once more They're a mixture of NCT and school mates. Glass of wine in back garden sounds very very tempting!

babynovice Wed 22-Jun-05 11:07:09

Hi Dizzymama, it sounds like you had 'one of those days', I hope today is shaping up a little better You must be a great person to have around and I'm sure your friends do appreciate you even if they do take you for granted (sounds like). What you need is more balance between people you help and people that help you, that way you won't feel so drained.....if you're the type of person that can't say no then start being a bit more selfish. Also, maybe your friends would be totally happy to help you out if you asked and they just don't realise that sometimes you need a bit more tlc from them!

dizzymama Wed 22-Jun-05 15:00:52

I think you're right babynovice, I tend to put on a front as if I can handle anything that's thrown at me. They probably just think I really can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now