Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What is a Nervous breakdown?

(4 Posts)
mpuddleduck Fri 06-Nov-09 23:43:02

Like the title says, what is a nervous breakdown?
I feel like I might be having one, but then again, might just be feeling sorry for myself.
ds2 had a unreasonable tantrum last night,and I couldn't cope,stormed out of the room, slammed the door, stamped my feet, thumped the table, ended up on the floor in tears.

Swedes2Turnips0 Fri 06-Nov-09 23:45:43

Very sorry to hear you are struggling. Bumping for someone more knowledgeable about these things.

badietbuddy Fri 06-Nov-09 23:46:26

afaik, they don't use that term anymore. Am I right in saying that last night was not an isolated incident? If you are having difficulty coping the first post of call is the GP. I went when I realsied my anxiety was getting out of control and realised I had also been depressed fr quite some time. In our trust the mental health service is very good, I got an appointment with the appropriate people very quickly, and have been prescribed meds which have made me feel like me again. Don't be afraid to seek help

madmouse Fri 06-Nov-09 23:51:29

the working definition of a nervous breakdown is if you just cease to function - ie no longer manage to make yourself a cup of tea as you can't work out how to do it. What you describe sounds more like letting the pressure cooker build up too much steam.

Also sounds like ds2 was last drop not the whole story

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now