Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

whats the best thing i can do to help a good friend who has depression?

(8 Posts)
juicychops Fri 06-Nov-09 14:14:25

she has a lot of things going on in her life that i wont go into but she has depression. she's seen her GP numerous times and she thinks its time she tried ads. she hasn't been to work this week as she can barely get herself out of bed

she cant bring herself to do anything or go anywhere and all she wants to do is sleep and laze around.

ive encouraged her to try going swimming today as its something she does enjoy once she's actually there and told her to just take one day at a time and to see GP to talk about ads.

what else can i do to help her other than just be on the other end of the phone when she wants to talk?

she doesn't have any children so doesn't need babysitters

kingfix Fri 06-Nov-09 14:17:22

just carying on being a friend through the sometimes long illness and recovery is a huge thing. Depressed people (including me) can be hard to be around and people who don't lose interest but keep trying are wonderful

Fabster Fri 06-Nov-09 14:31:33

G swimming with her if she wants.

Be a listening ear.

Try to remember it is not her fault and she is ill, not moany.

You sound lovely.

Fabster Fri 06-Nov-09 14:32:23

So, I delete the O and forget to type the o but I am sure you got what I meant.

juicychops Fri 06-Nov-09 14:40:09

she lives a long way away from me so sometimes its difficult for me to do things with her spare of the moment like swimming.

but invited her round for tomorrow to come to fireworks display with us and told her that if she ever wants or needs a change of scenery just to come round mine for a day, night, weekend, week whatever she fancies.

she keeps apologising for being moany but keep telling her she's not moaning and thats what im here for. its really sad seeing her like this

mollybob Fri 06-Nov-09 14:44:59

It is hard supporting someone with depression - have a look at Anne Sheffield's website about depression fallout to help you understand they way she is with you

You can't sure -just keep supporting her and reminding her that it's the depression that's making her low and not her weakness or inadequacy

juicychops Fri 06-Nov-09 19:08:28

thanks for your advice. il have a look at that website

madmouse Fri 06-Nov-09 19:11:56

Don't wait for her to call you if she needs to talk - keep contacting her - it can be so hard to reach out and asking for help is just too hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now