Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) and TTC/Pregnancy

(8 Posts)
jumblequeen Tue 03-Nov-09 21:42:08

Hi All,

I'm TTC and am currently taking 20mg of Fluoxetine a day. I have been taking ADs all of my adult life so I don't feel that coming off them is an option. The research regarding ADs and TTC/pregnancy is so conflicting... can anyone give me any advice about this? I realise this is more a question for a doctor but would appreciate some personal experience...

K

gloriana Tue 03-Nov-09 21:57:37

Hi Jumblequeen, I took fluoxetine throughout my pregnancy with DS3 (think I was on 40mg and then went down to 20mg just before the birth). DS3 is now 3 and shows no signs of any adverse effects of me being on medication through my pregnancy. I did see the consultant before the birth who advised me to drop my dosage (if I could) in the week before my due date as he said that the baby would have withdrawal symptoms when he was born. They get a slight amount through breast milk but not nearly as much as they've been used to in the womb. He said this can make them more irritable.

Other than that, I had no other issues/problems and don't think DS3 has suffered either. I think that it is far better for you to control your depression (which in itself can negatively affect your baby) and wish you good luck with TTC smile

lostlenore Wed 04-Nov-09 16:13:56

Hello y'all.

I am 22 weeks pg and have just started taking fluoxetine (20mg). I have also been scouring the internet but it is all terribly confusing. The general consensus seems to be 'if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the baby' (which might not be anything at all) then you should continue with the ad's.

It appears that depression itself is risky to the baby (in terms of things that you didn't do ie hurting yourself) so it is better to take them if you need them.

Gloriana did your DS withdraw? Did you breastfeed him and did you notice he was particularly cross/jittery? I am worrying about this for my pregnancy. (sorry, don't mean to hijack thread) blush

gloriana Wed 04-Nov-09 22:24:47

I have to say that I didn't notice him being any more cross/jittery than my other two (wasn't on fluoxetine for their pregnancies). I did have a very quick home birth though and felt that I bonded with him v quickly (this may not have happened if I had been depressed) I did bf him initially but had so many problems (thrush etc) that gave up after 2 weeks.

My consultant was very helpful in saying that there is far more research regarding fluoxetine and pregnancy than any other AD so if you have to take an AD, it's the one to take as the research suggests it's the safest.

jumblequeen Thu 05-Nov-09 08:41:48

Thanks all for the advice. As I've already reduced my dosage from 40 to 20mg I think I should be okay... I was just worried that I'd have to come off altogether really. smile

lostlenore Fri 06-Nov-09 18:15:33

Keep on truckin'! Will hopefully hear some good news from you on here soon! x

jumblequeen Sat 07-Nov-09 17:02:45

I hope so too! Thank you x

Kaloki Sun 08-Nov-09 01:17:35

I'm on anti-d's too, though not fluoxetine. Although I'm not pregnant yet, I spoke to my doctor about it and he said should be ok to carry on with them through pregnancy, but to cut down if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now