Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anti-Ds for eating disorders?

(11 Posts)
MadeUpNameForAnonymity Tue 03-Nov-09 16:16:13

I've had food problems for a long time but it's been getting worse. I finally plucked up the courage to go to my GP which was hard. She's going to refer me for counselling but said that I should think about going on anti-depressants as well.

I've had depression in the past and took citalopram then but if anything my food issues got worse, but I don't know if that was the anti-Ds or just the depression. My GP was suggesting that I try fluoxetine this time.

I don't feel particularly depressed right now but I am interested if anyone else has tried anti-Ds for helping with eating disorders. Anyone been in this situation?

wordwander Tue 03-Nov-09 21:24:07

Hi there, I have no advice but I wanted to say well done for taking the first step in seeing your GP.

I too have had eating an eating disorder for years and think you've been very brave. As far as a-ds are concerned.. my feeling is that eating disorders are linked to depression - they certainly seem to appear at times of stress, (for me anyway).

I am not qualified but based on what sounds like your ambivalence towards a-ds would suggest you see how the talking therapy goes before rushing into taking them.

Right! All I have to do now is take a leaf out of your book, then follow my own advice!

I wish you very well with this and hope that something helps for you - you have been extremely brave.

MadeUpNameForAnonymity Tue 03-Nov-09 23:48:24

Thanks for the reply. You're right that I am ambivalent about it. On the one hand I don't want to take drugs I don't need. On the other hand I wonder if anti-d's might help fight the deep feeling I've got that my food issues are just too big and have been going on for too long to have a hope of getting better. Logically I know that it can't be totally insurmountable but try telling my heart that sad

MadeUpNameForAnonymity Wed 04-Nov-09 00:00:15

(sorry, I'm on a roll now blush).

It's interesting what you say about links between depression and EDs. For me anyway I think that my eating issues are a way of avoiding feelings. If I'm stuffing my face, or making myself sick, I'm not thinking about all the other things that are bothering me.

When I had full-blown depression I was in an abusive relationship and the depression then was like avoidance of feelings taken to extremes. I couldn't bear to let myself think about any of the feelings I was having as everything was all just too messed up.

I know I'm not feeling that bad now. But I can't say that I'm feeling particularly well physically or emotionally. I know the counselling will be beneficial but it's probably going to be months before I get the first appointment. Maybe anti-D's would help me stop getting any worse until then.

silentcatastrophe Wed 04-Nov-09 20:41:58

I was put on Prozac and for the first time in my life I felt as though I belonged to the human race. Later on, I was put on 2 tablets because my eating just wasn't sorted out. I have never looked back. It knocked the eating on the head. It may be worth a go.

MadeUpNameForAnonymity Thu 05-Nov-09 09:46:37

Thanks silentcatastrophe. I think it could be worth a go. I've going back to the GP on Monday so I'll talk it over with her then.

wordwander Thu 05-Nov-09 21:14:22

Oh no! I typed a long reply yesterday and it's disappeared... (shock).

I agree it's worth trying the a-ds. You don't want things to become worse while you're waiting for a counselling appointment. These issues don't come from nowhere and if you can give yourself a boost to cope with the underlying factors that's got to be a good thing.

wordwander Thu 05-Nov-09 21:17:51

blush I'll get the hang of mumsnet eventually...

Anyway, really well done again. You've inspired me to try doing something about it too. My husband says, "why don't you just not do it?" If only it were that simple..

bettywobble Fri 06-Nov-09 11:07:15

I suffered from an bulimia from the age of 16 to 27/28 and the citalopram stopped the urge of purgeing being so strong if that s any help xx

bettykitten75 Fri 06-Nov-09 11:56:36

Does Prozac supress appetite then? I am 10 days into taking it for mild to moderate anxiety and depression and have noticed no change in appetite.
TBH I've not experienced any side effects at all including no change in mood/anxiety levels.

MadeUpNameForAnonymity Sat 07-Nov-09 22:15:31

wordwander, thanks. As you say these things don't come out of nowhere.

bettywobble, thanks for that. I'd like to give something other than citalopram a try this time. For me I think if I can stop, or at least get a bit of control over, the bingeing then the purgeing will die back by itself.

bettykitten, it's not that I'm hoping that Prozac will suppress my appetite. Bingeing isn't really about appetite or hunger. It's more a (rubbish) coping mechanism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now