Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

has anyone ever swapped brands of anti d's during treatment?

(6 Posts)
mad4myboys Mon 02-Nov-09 19:32:39

I'm on 40mg of citalopram and have been on them for 10 months for pnd/anxiety. I think they have given me spots/acne. I was on them for the same reason after I had ds1 for about 18 months and again at that time i had bad skin again.

My skin was ok before when i hadnt been on them and i thought was the pill but i now think it is the citalopram. I spoke to my gp who said yes it could be the pills and i asked about changing brands to say prozac and she said it was fine to be but that id have to go cold turkey for a few days before i could start the prozac. She said this was because i had to get the citalopram out of my system. I really dont want to go cold turkey but really want to swap brands as y skin is really getting me down (not helping my self esteem!)

Just wondering if anyone else has managed to change brands? If i miss one dose the next day i feel sooooo sick and awful headache and dizzyness and there is no way i could cope with that for a few days with both ds's when dh works long hours.

mad4myboys Mon 02-Nov-09 20:14:47

bump

MitchyInge Mon 02-Nov-09 20:24:28

yes, I went through LOTS of different brands (slightly different situation, was a first episode of bipolar depression) - including citalopram, sertraline, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, paroxetine, reboxetine (not in that order) plus other types

it might be worth a few days of feeling grim in order to make the switch?

mad4myboys Mon 02-Nov-09 20:32:38

im scared to do it though? what if it affects me mentally?

MitchyInge Mon 02-Nov-09 21:04:39

would it be possible to go into hospital for the changeover, or get some extra support at home? are you worried you might harm yourself?

mad4myboys Tue 03-Nov-09 09:31:08

sorry i wasnt very clear, im not worried about harming myself, its just that last time i was on them i dont think it was higher than 20mg whereas now im on 40mg i know its not time to come off them (when normally you wean yourself off them) but to suddenly go cold turkey for a few days to change brand... its more the anxiety/stress levels that worry me, the depression side of things i think i have under control.

Bizarelly id prefer to be in hosp (have a breadk grin )

but not possible. i have 3 yr old and 1 yr old and dh works long hours...i dont have any extra help either.

If it was just that id feel ill for a few days id get on with it but will i have a set back mentally?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now