Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

i feel so overwhelmed

(7 Posts)
Booooooooooyhoo Wed 28-Oct-09 18:56:03

i was going to namechange for this but i'm guessing that a lot of you have been in a similar situation and wont judge me.

i dont really know where to start, this has been building up for a long time probably about 18 months and i feel as if its a dirty secret that no-one else knows. it finally hit me today that this isnt normal. there is something wrong with me.

i feel like everything is too much. i cant get up in the mornings, i feel so tired and i dont even want to get up. ds1 has missed days at school because ive slept in. i feel so shit about that. i havent cooked a proper meal in god knows how long, i end up going to my parents or going out to eat. i cant keep on top of the housework or the washing, i'll tell myself everyday that i need to do things and i just dont do them, i feel as if i have no energy all the time. ive joined a few m&t groups to try and meet people because i do feel in better form when i see people but i go for maybe 2 or 3 weeks and then for some reason i dont want to go anymore. i cant find the energy to do my hair or make-up anymore. there used to be a time where i wouldnt leave the house without either done, my house used to be like a showhome. its deeply embarrasing when people come to my house and i see them looking round at the mess. they know its not like me to be like this. even doing a few dishes i find an effort. things have really got away from me now and the house just feels like a huge messy prison, i dont like being in my own home. my poor poor ds1 is getting the brunt of my bad moods, he tries so hard to make me happy but im such a cow to him. i cant go on like this. it needs to stop now. i need my old self back.

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 19:23:22

I can sympathise. I have been looking for the old me for ages.

It is all about small steps.

What is bothering you most, the mess, no fresh food cooked, messy hair? Decide that that is all you are going to focus on for x amount of time and see how you feel.

I have been fed up with the state of the kitchen for ages and spent a day and a half emptying out all the cupboards, washing what needed doing and sorting stuff out. Made me feel so much better. Tidy room = tidy head in my world.

Booooooooooyhoo Wed 28-Oct-09 19:30:28

probably the mess is gettin to me most. i have tried tackling it room at a time, but i just seem to run out of steam so quickly. i know it will make me feel alot better if its done but as much as i convince myself, it nevers gets done.

toosensitiveforrealname Wed 28-Oct-09 19:36:18

hmm I would say a visit to your GP is in order - try to tell him/her how you feel, you may need some help. You sound like textbook depressed to me (a lay person I hasten to add)

I am not well at the moment (PTSD) and even though I am for that reason not working I find it really hard to keep on top of the house. But tonight when my ds was in the bath I managed to clean the loo, the basin and the shelf. Yes ok I can think the bath and the shower are not clean but the bathroom looks better and I can do the rest later.

Also you could try for a few days spend whatever energy you have on just tidying up, most visible room first. A tidy house looks surprisingly good, others don't notice dirt the way you do yourself wink

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 19:36:58

Set a timer for 10 minutes and do what you can. If you want to take a break, take one, if not do another 10 minutes and just take it a bit at a time.

Booooooooooyhoo Wed 28-Oct-09 20:11:52

i thought aswell that it might be depression but wasnt sure if it was just me being a mope.
i am off work aswell at the minute on maternity leave but still cant manage to get anything done.

i will try fabs suggestion tomorrow of doing ten minutes at a time. i'm heading to bed now as i just feel totally exhausted even though i havent done anything.

thank you for responding and not leaving this unanswered.

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 20:39:58

There have been times when I have felt so over whelmed as I have had so much to do that it has really got me down and I have ended up mnting doing nothing. It is a great feeling when you do get stuff done. Shame the kids wreck it minutes later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now