Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

To those who suffer from anxiety but force themselves to keep going - especially Social Anxiety sufferers who aren't shy

(4 Posts)
GloGlo Wed 28-Oct-09 13:47:42

I have namechanged for this but am looking for other people's experiences.

I have suffered from Social Anxiety my whole life (as long as I remember). I only found this out earlier this year (beforehand, I had believed it was agoraphobia). I saw a counsellor who immediately identified that everything I had been suffering from had a Social Anxiety (SA) background.

This came as a huge surprise to me as I had always associated SA with shyness but once I understood the true definition, I realised my anxiety is stemming from a fear of being noticed and judged in certain situations.

I have never let my anxiety rule my life but it does dominate my thoughts and I have carried on going regardless (work etc.) because I've had to.

But if you have SA, have you ever managed to overcome it? I have looked at support boards but a lot of them are quite depressing so I wondered if anyone had experience of SA on here.

flakecake Wed 28-Oct-09 21:25:55

Hi GloGlo,
I suffered from something like this briefly after I had my DD. What helped me? Like you I carried on regardless. During the worst of it I just had to continuously reasoned with myself, you know, logic over emotion. I remember I had a few sessions of CBT but didn't find it helpful. Psychotherapy might be helpful. Look up The Brahma Kumaris...they have centres for POSITIVE thinking.

I feel you need to find out what started it in the first place. Knowing might set you free.

GloGlo Thu 29-Oct-09 07:48:01

Hi flake, that's interesting because mine only started affecting me after I had dd. Looking back, I can see it was always there but not physically affecting me (if that makes sense) until after she was born.

I will look into the positive thinking centres.

wheredidiputmyfone Mon 02-Nov-09 14:00:22

I've had SA for most of my life, the only way I've got through it is to accept who I am and my limitations.

I realised I was going through with social situations for social reasons ie for other people. I hated them and the way they made me feel, so why keep doing it?

I do certain things for my DCs, like having friends over, going to school functions etc, but as for myself, luckily I'm a loner rather than lonely, so I'm much happier with just my DC and DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now