Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sleeplessness & other side effects on Citalopram

(6 Posts)
mumofshortie73 Wed 28-Oct-09 11:24:12

Just a few of my early experiences on this-
now they are working and I feel like a dark cloud has lifted- amazing !

If I took the tablet at night-time, I did lie in bed wide awake at all hours, and if I woke up, really struggled to get back to sleep- yes,lying for an hour or more staring up at the ceiling, listening to my DH snoring !Other side effects were a total lack of appetite (not a bad thing as I need to shift a few pounds grin) but neither did I want to be around food or prepare it. Just felt completely drained & zombie-like but that was short-lived.

I found short walks every day really helpful- even in the wind & rain, good mood lifter, also making sure I had plenty of good wholesome grub (made loads of soup, casseroles, bung-in-the-oven type stuff- zilch effort but pretty tasty, made a conscious effort to phone friends every day, not text or email as more engaging.

Those friends I have told have been brilliant & it feels less of a big scary taboo now. I have also been going to a group therapy thing which is very useful and interesting to hear from other mums who've been suffering, their issues are very similar- eg- family dynamics,relationships with parents ...

Lots of things about the future excite me now but they really didn't before I started the treatment.

RosemaryBingle Wed 28-Oct-09 11:52:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumofshortie73 Wed 28-Oct-09 12:32:35

Rosemary I am glad you found that useful, it's a massive relief for me too hearing from other people who're going through the same thing, you feel less alone, don't you ?

The meds do take a while to work (need to build up in your system) so that waiting game is not much fun, however, if you can see it through, it is SO worth it.

Sounds really cheesy to use another analogy but it is how I am feeling compared to before- the fog has shifted and now the clouds have shiny silver linings !! (vomit- cheesemungous, i know)

mumofshortie73 Wed 28-Oct-09 14:57:56

Sorry to hear you're fed up, Rosemary- anxiety is a horrible feeling. I just felt dreadful trying to get up enough energy and motivation to get the kids out in public, feeling like people were judging if they kicked off and I wouldn't be able to cope. Also keeping the housework going and if there was too much dirty washing spilling out of the laundry basket, I was somehow a really crap Mum sad - as if the kids were any worse off !

RosemaryBingle Wed 28-Oct-09 19:06:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChilloHippi Sun 01-Nov-09 17:00:24

Come and join us here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now