Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Going to the GP tomorrow to discuss my anxiety

(9 Posts)
RosemaryBingle Tue 27-Oct-09 12:12:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

georgiemum Tue 27-Oct-09 12:23:04

Good for you for getting up the courage to ask for help - the first step is really the hardest. You wil have good days, and bad days, but there is light at the end of the tunnel now.

Maybe he will advise some kind of therapy - it has to be better to fix the problem than to medicate it.

Have you any close friends or relatives you can talk to?

RosemaryBingle Tue 27-Oct-09 12:29:41

carocaro Tue 27-Oct-09 12:43:31

You sound like you do have a REAL issue for want of a better word!

I went to the docs about 18 months ago with similar feelings, I'd had a ruptured cyst and an emergency operation and I found it all very shocking and traumatising, I think it triggered lots of things, then my paternal Grandad died, my Dad died 10 years ago and that was it I was a complete wreck. On the outside I looked fine, but I was full of fearabout everything, I would wake in the night, heart booming out of my chest, unable to breathe and I would go and check the children. It took hours to get back to what was restless sleep.

I went to the docs and just sobbed as soon as she asked me how I was. She was amazing and talked to me about things and perscribed amitriptyline for my axiety and not be able sleep. DS2 was 9 months and up a lot at night too, so some night I barely slept.

It was like building blocks, getting better sleep meant my anxiety reduced and I could get a more realistic handle on my mind, I also went for some counselling, emotional therapy, paid for it myself about 7 sessions and this really really helped to just talk and be taken seriously.

I am going back to the docs this week as life has been a bit shit lately (husband redundant, £ worries, Step Dad very ill will MS) with various things and I have coped better, but realised I was slipping back down the same path when I found myself with my head out of the bathroom window at 3am gasping for air last week.

It is very hard to explain to people, the feeling of anxiety and how it grips you and consumes you. But it's definately real.

So I am going to grasp the nettle again so to speak. I know I can't be instantly cured by medication, it's just part of the process. I tend to go into hibernation mode and sit in and do nothing, when a walk in the fresh air can really help or a drink with friends.

So you are doing the right thing, let us know how you get on.

RosemaryBingle Tue 27-Oct-09 15:22:24

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 27-Oct-09 15:33:01

I would ask your doc about referring you for CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy - it is very effective,would mean you could avoid anti depressants - I have just been referred by my doc,in fact am waiting at the moment for the rather scarily titled mental health team to ring me back to arrange an assessment. I have had CBT before,many years ago,to treat OCD - it worked very well.

carocaro Tue 27-Oct-09 17:05:19

www.emotionaltherapy.co.uk - you can find a therapist here, my local lady had an advert in a local magazine, most therapists should offer a free initial consultation, so you can see if the therapy and therapist is right for you, before you go any futher.

Different therapies work for different people, it's trial and error I suppose, I liked emotional therapy becuase I just felt the need to really talk to someone about how I was feeling, things in the past and how they can affect the future, it felt great to get it all out!

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 27-Oct-09 17:10:15

I would go for CBT on the basis of reading the op - it tackles the persistent unpleasant thoughts and ideas - I have had stacks of 'talking' therapies which have never quite dealt with these things as successfully...but this is just my opinion of course.

RosemaryBingle Tue 27-Oct-09 17:53:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now